We're starting to plan a trip out to Connecticut to visit family. We'll probably be going in early May. I've flown plenty before, but never with a baby! Anyone have suggestions for us, whether for booking, timing, packing, planning, etc??
Here's what we're thinking so far:
-Flying out and coming back on a Saturday morning.
-Tickets I found are about $250 per person (on Hotwire.com). I think that's a good price, anyone know a way to get a better one?
-I honestly am debating about buying Rachel a ticket or not. Technically, we don't have to since she's under 2, and if the flight's not full we can probably get her a seat anyway and save $250, but if it's full we do have to hold her, which I don't mind, but what if there's turbulence? This is my biggest thing I need advice on.
-She needs somewhere to sleep while we're out there, but I REALLY don't want to have to bring the pack n play, as it is bulky and will cost $ to check. Thinking about buying one out in CT on Craigslist for like $30, since that's less than what it would cost to check it anyway. Sleeping suggestions?
-Thinking about just buying a cheapo umbrella stroller out in CT, also for the checked baggage hassle.
What else haven't I thought of? Help! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
The umbrella stroller is a beautiful thing at the airport! We never bought a ticket for Reid until we had to, but the flight from here to WA is only 2 hrs, and kiddos fall asleep so easy on planes that he just slept in my arms. Also, make sure that she is sucking on something during take off and landing so her ears pop, and a lot of people give kiddos Tylenol before the flight to help with the ear pressure. I would DEFINITELY suggest having a pack and play to stay at you parents. They fit into it until they are 2 or so, so it will be there whenever you go visit. Even though there will be two of you to carry things, you will be surprised at how much you have to keep track of! Good luck!
I'd agree with all the advice the last girl left. We've flown a lot with Grace and every time we've just had her on our laps. I think that in the case of turbulence I feel safer with her on my lap so I can evacuate quickly if need be without messing with any belts and buckles. Also, we love using the stroller through the airport - so much easier than carrying her and all the bags that we inevitably have and they're really easy to gate check. Check with the airline that you'll be on because some will check 2 baby bags in place of one adult luggage (i.e. a pack and play and a car seat). When we flew last weekend I asked the attendant at check in and she said that when I gate check the stroller it doesn't count as a piece of luggage, so you can potentially bring plenty of stuff without being penalized for it. But check with the airline, we've flown Southwest the past few times we've flown.
Well you might try southwest. they have online deals sometimes and if you fly on an off day like a thursday rather then a friday they are usually a better deal like under 200. just make sure you pack extra everything for the airport. we once had a delay of like 6 hours when we were traveling with the twins at 10 months old. We had packed extra diapers and formula just in case though so we were ok. I never bought my kids tickets but for me it was worth holding them the whole time to save the money. But might be hard on longer flights, My arms got tired fast. but it would also be a bummer if she didnt like the plane so you had to hold her the whole time anyway. I think buying the umbrella stroller and play pen sound like a good Idea for out there. I never took our car seats or our big Items in fear the airlines would loose them. And also have a bottle or binki for her to suck on during take off and landing. Good luck
ONE WORD ... BENADRYL. LOTS AND LOTS OF BENADRYL. GIVE SOME TO RACHEL TOO. LOVE, PAUL
You will want a stroller, preferably one that reclines especially if you have a layover. My other advice, take a binky, and don't sit next to a tired, onery business man who has no experience with children!
I wouldn't bother getting a ticket for Rachel. You will end up wanting to hold her the whole time. That's how we were with Devin except when we flew to Italy. We got him a seat then. As someone else stated, you should be able to check an umbrella stroller at the gate. As far as a pack n' play, I would see if Raymond (I think he is the one with 2 year old twins) has one you could borrow. If you are adamant about not taking a stroller with you, they will have one too. Think of the resources in CT. Wish we could go up at the same time, but we are looking forward to seeing you in April.
My friend had to fly to her parents for christmas and she mailed her stuff a week before because it was cheaper than checking it. So maybe you could mail the pack and play? Just an idea. Other than that, I have never had to fly with my kids so I don't have any other ideas
Found this:
http://todayshousewife.blogspot.com/2008/07/dont-do-what-i-did.html
Definately pack the diapers and extra clothes!
Post a Comment