Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Please Help! (again)

Ok I'm asking for your advice and suggestions again. I just realized today after measuring & weighing Rachel (27 in., 16 lbs) that she's about to outgrow her infant car seat (not with weight, but with height) so we need to buy a convertible car seat. I've spent the whole morning researching the different kinds, reading safety ratings and customer reviews, and my head is spinning! Those of you with kiddos - What kind do you have? What do you like/dislike about it? I don't like buying off brand or really cheapo stuff when it comes to safety, but no one likes to spend a fortune if it's unneccessary. On the other hand, Mike did just win a couple contests at work and we got some major $$ giftcards for Target, so we don't have to pay out of pocket for a car seat no matter how much it is. A lot of people seem to like the Britax seats, but they're in the $240-$320 range. The Evenflo ones are cheaper, but not as many bells and whistles and some say they're not rated as high for safety. Even when we decide on a brand, there are still lots of different models in each brand. I'm confused. Help!

3 comments:

Cami said...

Here is my 2 cents: We bought the Evenflo one, (dont remember specific name) We were drawn to it because of the twisty knobs on the side to tighten the child once they are in the seat. Also, it has a feature where you can recline it (once it is front facing) It's a bit wider than most, but it is also more comfy than most. So, Dave's brother has one child and they bought the Britax one, their daughter grew out of it so they asked if we wanted it. I said yes, so we moved our Evenflo careat out and put it in Dave's car. I thought the Britax would be so much nicer because it cost SO much more... I HATE the britax one in comparison, we had to trade them back. The only thing I liked about it more than the Evenflo was it was more slender. It sits up way high, Dawson's head is always slumping while he is sleeping, and you cannot get it tight enough for me to feel he is safe. We bought the Evenflo when Landon was 6 months old, tha was almost 4 years ago and it's still in GREAT shape and I LOVE IT!!! Hope that helped.

Holy Novel.

Kristi said...

I have a Grace Safe Seat it is not convertible, but one thing that I love about it that I reccomend you watch for is that it reclines WHILE still buckled in. Most seats recline, but you have to pull them out and put them back in to do it. With my graco I can look in the rear view mirror and see that Cougar's starting to nod off, reach back and pull it into a much more comfortable sleeping position. I love it and will never be without that feature!

Kathy&Mike said...

I was lucky when Joey was that age. I had a Jeep Cherokee that had a built-in child seat in the back. It was the greatest thing ever! That's the one feature I miss about that car since I got my new one. I know Joey's way too big to worry about it now, but it was so nice for Grand-kids. When you weren't using it, it folded into the seat and you couldn't even tell it was there. The ultimate in safety and convenience! Don't I sound like a commercial?