What an incredible week. On Monday we had Rachel's adoption finalized, and on Saturday and Sunday we had her sealing and blessing. Mindy, Jake, Mindy's parents, and her sister Jessica and husband TJ all came up for the blessing, as well as Shiloh and Mark, our good friends that live all the way in Yuma, Arizona. The finalization and blessing were great, but the sealing was the really amazing part. People asked me on Sunday, "How did the sealing go?" and I would try to find words to explain it, but just couldn't. There really are no words to accurately describe the experience we had on Saturday, but I'll try a little bit.
On Friday, as I drove to Costco to buy food for after the blessing on Sunday, I listened to my Michael McLean CD of adoption songs, and one suddenly had new meaning for me, called "Something Perfect". As I listened to it, I thought of those years before we had Rachel, of all the nights I cried myself to sleep, and all the prayers that I begged with Heavenly Father to let me be a mommy. I thought about how all that pain lessened when I finally learned to rely on the atonement of my Savior, and how it disappeared when I at last held our perfect angel in my arms. My mind fast-forwarded through the last six months that we've come to adore Rachel more every single day, and waited anxiously for this day to come that she would be ours forever. As I sat in the Costco parking lot drying my eyes, I knew Saturday would be a great day.
None of this would have been possible without Mindy and Ben and their incredible, selfless love. We will forever be in their debt, and never truly be able to thank them enough or really explain how precious of a gift they gave us.
Our sealing took place in the Mount Timpanogos Temple in American Fork. We had the same sealer who performed our marriage sealing, as well as Mike's two sibling's sealings, George Durrant. When they brought in Rachel, in her white dress, she looked like an angel. She was so happy and smiling. The sealing itself is quite short, but Mike and I still couldn't hold back our tears as we added a third person to our eternal family. We already couldn't imagine life without her, and now we can't imagine eternity without her either. My life feels perfect. All the fear and pain of not being able to have children are swallowed up in her, and in my Savior. She was worth the wait. I felt my testimony grow too, as I always do when I'm in the temple. I know that the church I belong to is real and true. I know we have a Father in Heaven who loves us more than we know, and I know that Jesus Christ is my Brother, Friend, and Savior. And I know that if I live worthy of them, this beautiful family will be mine forever.
People in the video: Minute 1:20 - George Durrant, our sealer; 2:25 - Kathy & Mike, Mindy's parents; 2:30 - Jessica, Mindy's sister; 2:45 - Mindy (and later with Jake)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
that is really awesome mary, im really happy for your family.
That was very touching, thanks for sharing the pictures! Congrats!!!!
I LOVE THIS SLIDESHOW!!! Tears were present when viewing. :) We are sooo very happy for you...congrats!! You and Mike make amazing parents!!! We love you! ;)
Mary that is so beautiful!! I am sitting here with tears in my eyes as I try to think of the right things to say!! I just love you guys and I'm so happy for you. Your family is so beautiful and I am so glad you're happy. I love the picture of Rachel giving you kisses!! That is so cute. I wish we could have been there to see you guys. She is such a precious baby and we love her so much!! Give her kisses for me and tell her I love her!! I am so happy for you guys. The whole thing just makes me feel so good inside.
Oh, you three! Once again I am crying tears over that precious baby. Tears of joy and also tears of sadness, missing Rachel. Thank you so much for letting us be part of her life. I have no doubt that she is where she is supposed to be, but sometimes my heart aches for her. Thank you for loving her and taking such good care of her and making such a wonderful life for her. Thank you for being the family that you are (including your extended family) and welcoming us so openly. We truly love you all and look forward to future association with you all, in both this life and the next.
Mary, you are such an amazing person! We love you guys and are SO grateful that you invited us to be a part of that special day. I love your post and want to thank you for your inspirational and beautiful words. Rachel is such a blessing and it's obvious that she loves you and is so happy!
Congratulations! I love the picture of Mike's jump for joy in front of the temple! It's amazing to be together forever isn't it? I remember the first time I sang that primary song "Families Can Be Together Forever" to Cougar. It took on new meaning even though I had sung it a million times before. I still can't sing it without getting all teary. What a wonderful gift we've been given, tiny souls that love us so much. You're an amazing woman, Mary and you're raising an amazing daughter!
I just wanted to say congratulations! I'm sorry we had to miss the blessing, but I heard from my parents that it was beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pictures, Rachel looks like a little angel :)
Congratulations! What a perfect day! She is such a beautiful little girl and so happy. That slide show was incredibly touching. Thank you for reminding me how grateful I am for family and that families can be forever. You are so wonderful!
How wonderful! Rachel is so lucky to have so many people that love her. Also, I hate how your blog ALWAYS makes me a cry...I guess it's a good cry though, right?
That was so great. I'm glad you shared the pictures with all of us who aren't close, but wish we could've been there. I'm so happy that you've all made it to this milestone and are forever a family. And what's even cooler is that Mindy's engaged! It never ceases to amaze me how the gospel can make people's lives so wonderful, full of purpose and completeness. Congratulations!
Post a Comment