Since Mike has this whole week off work, we figured it would be a good time to start feeding Rachel solids (it's definitely a team effort), and today was the first day! It actually went a lot better, although just as messy, as I expected. Sitting straight up, pretty much all the food came right back out of her mouth, but then we reclined her in my lap and let gravity help us a bit. After we did that, the food just slid right down! And she loved it! She kept grabbing my hand and sticking her tongue out wanting more. We added a bit of prune juice to it because rice cereal supposedly causes constipation, which Rachel already struggles with anyway. Plus our pediatrician said she can have juice at this point anyway (though I don't like the idea of feeding her a lot of it). Plus I hoped it would make the cereal yummier. Tomorrow we'll try without the juice and see if she likes it just as much. Here are some great (I think) pictures of the event!

Ready to get started! We sat her in her Bumbo seat to eat, since we don't have a high chair yet and the Bumbo helps her sit straight too.

"What's that thing?!"

I love her tongue sticking out the bottom. I'm expecting that her very active, long tongue will make feedings both entertaining, and slightly harder. :)

"My spoon."

Of course the hands went straight to her mouth too.

They should make little baby straight jackets for this.

Mmmm... fooooood....
She got a shower with Daddy right after because she was so covered and sticky. And when I got her out and was drying her off, she started crying, so I held her up to my shoulder to comfort her... and she peed on me. So all three of us got showers in the middle of the afternoon. :)
p.s. Suggestions and advice about feeding are more than welcome, as we really only have a vague idea of what we're doing here. :)
12 comments:
your experience seemed better than mine! Dawson didn't like food until about 8 months, he still isn't a huge fan.. Also, both my kids struggle with constipation. We skipped rice and went straight to oatmeal.
CONGRATS ON little Rachel's first Christmas and first time on solids! It looks like the "solids" lifestyle turned out to be pretty successful. :) YAY! It sounds like things are going well! :) We aure hope you have a wonderful NEW YEAR'S EVE! :)
Yay food! Lol it is always so interesting to see how they react to it. As far as the juice goes I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to give her too much. I found that it really worked great to do half juice and half water. It made the juice not so sweet and then sometimes I would just give them a bottle of water. They really loved that! Oh, and you said you don't know what you are doing with food, I just have to tell you that I am SURE you are doing just fine. No one really know what they are doing! lol I love watching your sweet baby grow!
hahaha I love that she peed on you. Silly girl! She is growing up so fast!
Yeah my kids always got stopped up with rice cereal, so we did mixed grains. And adding prune/apple juice helped some. Also, it takes a couple weeks for them to get it... so don't think you're doing anything wrong if it takes a while. But her first time was really good! So she may be quicker :)
Hey way to go! It is way frustrating to get any straight answers about how to feed solids. My sis gave me some good advice. Mostly baby is living off of milk, so everything else is just new experimentation. I settled into a pattern of feeding mushy foods mixed with really watered down grains then topping off with as much formula and he wanted. They also have tons of prune/bannana works too/ baby foods. Go ahead and get Gerber 2nd foods. 2nd just means more in the container and cheeper ;)
For a long time I used two spoons. One for Garrett to play with and one for me to feed him with. it cuts down on the mess.
I like the bib...cute.
Isn't food an adventure? My only advice is just keep scoopin' it back in when she spits it out. Was her eye hurting? It looks red. Love you all.
What? Babies eat like that too?
That would be awesome to be in the same ward again! I think there are some more available so I am trying to get Angela and Jayson to move. They are seriosly thinking about it. We can all be together again!
Such cute pics!!! Baby strait jackets - you had me laughing out loud at that one. I can't believe how much bigger she is - it goes so fast. She gets cuter all the time Mary - you are so blessed to have such an angel. Hope you guys had a fabulous Christmas! XOXO
I don't know what was up with her eye. She woke up that day with it red like that, but it didn't seem to bother her and went away within 24 hours, so who knows. Maybe she just slept funny with her hand under her face or something.
Post a Comment