Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Book List 2010

I decided to follow in the footsteps of my good blogger friends Kiersten and Gary and post a list of the books I read in 2010, since I was inspired by Kiersten's 2009 list and kept track of the books I read all year for the first time ever. (Thank you Goodreads.com). I read way fewer books than either of them, but still more than I had in the past, so yay for progress! Plus, I can really only read substantially when my kids are asleep, and my bedtime is like 9:30...so I'm kind of proud that I read anything at all.

January
Gardening Basics for Dummies by Steven Frowine
Homemade: How to Make Hundred of Everyday Products by Reader's Digest
Vegetable Gardening by Fern Bradley
These Is My Words by Nancy Turner
Canning and Preserving for Dummies by Karen Ward

February
How To Break An Egg: 1,453 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions and Handy Techniques By Fine Cooking
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

March
Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
Fascinating Womanhood by Helen Andelin
Secrets of a Feeding a Healthy Family by Ellyn Satter

April
Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely

May
Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense by Ellyn Satter

June & July
None

August
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

September
The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp
Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy by Martin Lindstrom

October
Embracing the Wide Sky: A Tour Across the Horizons of the Mind by Daniel Tammet

November
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth

December
Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen
Eat This Not That! 2010 by David Zinczenko


So, only 20 books. And I pretty much didn't read at all in the summer. Partly because it was just too warm and sunny outside and partly because we had a new baby. You'll notice too that I mostly read non-fiction. Only 5 books are fiction, and 3 of those are the Hunger Games trilogy. I'm really not a big fiction reader. I also don't finish a book if I don't like it, and I don't include books on my list that I didn't finish.

My favorites were Embracing the Wide Sky - a fascinating peek inside the mind of an autistic savant, Child of Mine - a great book about feeding young children, and the Hunger Games trilogy, which I could not put down.

Hopefully 2011's list will be more impressive, but now I have 2 kiddos under age three to chase after, and I only read one book in January... so we'll see how that pans out. :)

What books did you read last year that you loved? I'm always looking for books to add to my ever-growing To Read list!

6 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

I like your list. Like you, I read Hunger Games last year. Unlike you, I read mostly fiction.

I would recommend The Help. Highly, highly recommend that. I also read The Book Thief, The Handmaiden's Tale and Wuthering Heights with my book club. Of those, I'd only really recommend Book Thief.

Rebecca said...

I loved the Hunger Games too. I had been meaning to read it for a while, so Gary got me them for Christmas. I read all three in a week. It's great (and a little funny) that a lot of your books were about getting kids to sleep and on gardening and eating well. You can tell what has been on your mind this past year.

Gary said...

I plan on reading those Hunger Games books starting either later this month or early next.

And the volume is easy; I just neglect my family. :-)

Another very interesting list. It's hard to pick a favorite for me last year, but I found I really enjoyed the rest of the Ender series. I read Ender's game a time or two, but never the later, more philosophical sequels, and I found them quite thought provoking.

And the Shakespeare binge has been great too. The man was just beyond brilliant.

Natasha said...

You're doing better than I am with reading. Way to go! Thanks for the inspiration. We'll have to become friends on Goodreads. Did you like that productivity book you read?

Kathy&Mike said...

I loved These Is My Words. Great book. DON'T try to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo; you would REALLY hate it. I read part of it and threw it away. I read a really good one (non-fiction) this year called My Lobotomy by Howard Dully. Our hospital has a book exchange cart and so I've read a LOT of books since I've been here.

Kiersten said...

Ooh, I'm going to check out the wide sky and the child of mine book. Both sound good. And I've been trying to read more non-fiction, so I love your list. Also, I second the last commenter--Girl With the Dragon Tattoo=no good.