Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

"If he loved me, he'd know."

One thing I've learned in marriage is that you have to ask for what you want. If you think that your husband will automatically know what you want because he loves you, I've got news for you.

He won't.

His ability to read your mind is not indicative of his love for you.

I learned this several years ago. Since then I have been known to say such things to my husband as, "Tell me 5 reasons you love me. Go." or "Please bring me home something special tonight, such as chocolate or flowers."

It's not that he never does these kinds of things sporadically, of his own accord. He does. But sometimes I need an expression of love at a certain time in a certain way. So I tell him so.

Anyway, what's my point? I promise I have one.

For Valentine's Day, I told Mike that I wanted something special, something that required thought, effort, and time, preferably in writing. The problem is that I told him this on February 13th, which didn't leave him much time. Oops. So I got my Valentine's Day present late, but it was worth the wait, and I have to brag on my husband.

Looky:


It's a book that he wrote all about me and stuff he loves and such. Each page gives prompts about what to write about, or a list to make, etc. 90 pages. It took him hours. It made me cry.

Way to go, honey. :) And way to go, me, for remembering that if I tell him, he'll know.

2 comments:

Natasha said...

That's so sweet! Way to Go Mike! And way to go Mary! The whole not requiring spouses to read minds thing is definitely important to be reminded of. :) So, thanks!

Puga Family said...

What a great guy! That is a great V-day present.