Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Day In the Life: #1

So, a while back (quite a while back, actually), a married-without-children friend of mine innocently asked what exactly I did with my days as a stay at home mom. She was just curious what went on in the day-to-day. I fumbled some kind of vague answer, and realized that even though I felt busy, I wasn't really sure where my day went sometimes. I got the idea to do a blog post chronicling my day. Fast forward me forgetting about the whole thing for a long time, and today is that day!

Last night, however, as I was trying to ingrain the times I got up and down into my brain so I wouldn't forget, I realized that I have several different types of days. I am planning on today being a to-do list day, but not every day is like that. So I will be doing more than one of these. Stay tuned in the future for more days such as Lazy Day, and Day I Felt Busy All Day But Have Nothing Tangible to Show For It (*working title).

If this is a boring thing to blog about, I'm sorry. I know at least my friend will hopefully like it. If you don't care about reading what I did all day long, just skip it. Just because it's on my blog certainly does not mean you have to read it. :)

So without further ado, I give you the first installment of A Day In the Life:

Productive Day

-11:50 pm (previous day): Go to bed
-1:45 am: Reed wakes up to eat. Feed him, change diaper, etc.
-2:45: Go back to bed.
-4:45: Reed up. Feed, change diaper.
-5:30: Go back to bed.
-8:00: Wake up, pray with Mike, he leaves for work. (Usually he gets up at 6:15, but he needed some extra sleep this morning). Seize the opportunity while the kids are still sleeping to read my scriptures and look at Facebook. Start typing this.
-8:30: Rachel wakes up. Bring her downstairs and get her some milk and set her in front of the tv. Sneak back upstairs to get dressed and ready, where Rachel soon joins me because she has about a 3 minute attention span for tv.
-9:00: Reed wakes up. Feed and change him while Rachel runs around his room, climbing into his crib and brushing her teeth.
-9:30: Put out garbage cans. Put in a load of laundry. Make bed.
-9:45: Vacuum upstairs, which I wasn't planning on doing, but I spilled some formula powder in Reed's room so did the whole thing anyway. Get Rachel dressed. Rachel and I eat breakfast (she won't eat early).
-10:15: Brush teeth. Get Reed dressed. Get diaper bag ready.
-10:25: Walmart. Big trip. Rachel in the cart and Reed strapped to me in his carrier. Thinking this counts as my exercise for the day.
-12:15: Get home (yes, it took 2 hours). Reed's screaming for food. Hurry and put away cold food and feed him. Get Rachel some lunch and milk; change her diaper.
-1:00 pm: Put Rachel down for her nap, Reed in the swing, and make myself lunch.
-1:15: Put away rest of groceries. Pick beans and carrots in the garden. Make a few phone calls.
-1:45: Empty and load dishwasher.
-2:00: Fold a load of laundry from yesterday, switch this morning's load, and put in a new one.
-2:20: Get Rachel. She's been alternating between whining and talking to herself for half an hour. Not sure if she actually slept at all. Brace myself for whiny toddler for the rest of the day.
-2:30: Fix Rachel a snack. Fold another load of laundry.
-2:50: Clean upstairs bathroom.
-3:15: Turn on the tv for a minute and have a snack. And by "snack" I mean candy bar.
-3:30: Feed and change Reed.
-4:15: Change Rachel's diaper. Bring in garbage cans. Clean inside of car. Get mail.
-5:00: Fold more laundry. Put in another load. Clean downstairs bathroom.
-5:15: Mike comes home! Talk and snuggle with Mike, play with Rachel.
-5:45: Start making dinner.
-6:00: Eat dinner (french dip sandwiches - the cheater way with microwavable meat). :)
-6:20: Clean up dinner while listening to kids' songs on Pandora so Rachel can dance. Load dishwasher. Mike feeds Reed.
-6:30: Bathe Rachel. She insists on taking her package of graham crackers into the tub with her, and freaks out when they inevitably end up in the water, thinking it's poop. I clean out the bigger pieces and add bubbles to cover the offending crumbs. Fold another load in the hall while she plays in the tub.
-7:00: Out of the tub, into jammies, and watch some tv (Minute to Win It) with pre-bed sippy cup of milk.
-8:00: Pray with Dad, brush Rachel's teeth, bedtime! And time for the new episode of Chopped on Food Network. :) Picking up toys during commercial breaks.
-9:00: Sweep and mop kitchen floor.
-9:20: Shower, read scriptures and pray as a couple, get ready for bed.
-10:15: Mike goes to bed. I feed Reed and get some stuff done on the computer (multitasking!)
-11:00: Blog
-11:30: Bed!

11 comments:

Mike, Mary, and Rachel said...

Wow wife, you're amazing. I love you.
-Hubbo

h. said...

Thanks for sharing! That is a lot of diaper changing . . . I'd forgotten how often it is.

TJ and Jessica said...

Seriously Mary, as I'm reading this post I just keep thinking how amazing I think it all sounds!! You are so lucky and I can't wait for that to be my schedule :)

Kelsy Thomson said...

We totally LOVE chopped! I loved this post by the way. Sounds like we are very similar. We still need to get together sometime!

Jessica Munk said...

Love this! I'm excited to see the other days! And seriously, what does grocery shopping take so long?! I cannot get out of there under 2 hours unless i am rushing through the whole trip and even then i only save like 20 mins!

Kathy&Mike said...

I love this post. Did you read Angela's post about Tired Mama? You are both too funny!

Mindy Hawks said...

Sounds similar to my days...only without a toddler. (That's the part I don't know how you mother's do it all with more than one kid!)

Mindy Hawks said...

oh, and I was also going to say I love the exclaimation points after "Mike comes home" because Jake coming home is such a highlight of my day too!

steph said...

Wow. You are incredible. And inspiring. I have a lot to learn. Like time management.

Kiersten said...

Wow. Just reading this post made me tired! I can't imagine having two little ones to take care of; just having one wears me out. And all of the other stuff you do, like cleaning your car and gardening? You're kind of amazing!

Tara said...

Oh, the business of being a SAHM!!! I really liked reading this! Girl, you have got to go to bed earlier!!!