Our first activity was tubing down this river in the middle of the jungle. It was kind of cold and pouring rain, but still so much fun! Thankfully we had waterproof cameras.
Then we went to a place called Dunn's River Falls. This is a really neat waterfall that empties straight into the ocean. This picture doesn't show the whole falls, just the bottom section. What you do is follow a tour guide as you hike up in the falls. For safety, they have everyone join hands so we were in a human chain of like 20 or so people as we climbed up. It was really cool.
They stopped to take pictures periodically. It took probably about an hour to actually get all the way up.
After the falls, Phil drove us around showing us Jamaica and telling us about the history and so on. He was a great tour guide, very memorable. It was sad to see how poor Jamaica actually is though. People live in these small, dirty, old houses or shacks and you can just tell that everyone is just scraping by.
We stopped this one time and this Rastafarian guy came up selling coconuts that he had carved into birds and stuff.
This is a picture of a primary school. Phil said that the ratio of students to teachers is about 75 to 1, and there isn't enough classroom space, so they often have to have class outside under this canopy. The kids sit on a tarp and the teacher has just a chalkboard to teach with. Makes me really appreciate our school systems (flawed though they are) and make sure that we always appreciate the opportunities we have for learning.
I think Jamaica would have been more fun if it wasn't raining and kind of cold, but we still had a blast anyway!
4 comments:
I love that picture of you two kissing in the water! It's so pretty! I'm glad you had such a fun trip. It looked amazing and now I want to go so bad!!
It is so amazing how much we have and take for granted here. The picutes you took are all very interesting and it looks so beautiful there!
I was going to write "I love the picture of you and Mike kissing in the water," and then I clicked on here and saw that's exactly what Mindy wrote. Oh, well. I love it anyway; it's beautiful!
That picture is HOT Mary!!! You guys are so cute!
Post a Comment