Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cruisin'

Mike and I just got back from our 7 night Western Caribbean cruise! It was so much fun! Prepare yourself for a lot of pictures. I separated everything into a few different posts to make it easier.

Here's my perma-smile that I had the whole first day. This is waiting to get onto the ship. The blue folder I'm holding was my baby the whole trip. It had all the important documents and all my planning stuff in it. I'm a worrier.


On the ship!


View of the promenade deck. Our room looked out over this (see the windows on the sides up above?) It was great. Noisy at night sometimes though. We're old and go to bed early.

Leaving Miami


The ship has a rock climbing wall.


More leaving Miami


The dining room. It was so fancy, complete with live piano and violin music at dinner every night. We only ate there a few times. Most of the time we stuck to the buffet.


The ship also has an ice-skating rink. They have an ice show, which was amazing, and also have free times that anyone could get skates and try it out. I struggled. :)


Trying out the rock wall

Mike climbing to the top


Our ship is also only one of like 4 ships that have this, it's called Flowrider, and it's a surfing simulator. It pumps out tons of water really fast and you can surf and boogie board on it. It was really hard to do! (I failed 3 times in a row and then gave up, but Mike was good at it). We spent a lot of time just sitting out there watching people try it.




Formal night


We participated in the "World Rock Paper Scissors Championship". Sadly, we did not win.


Our cabin. It was more roomy than I thought it would be, actually. I loved having someone else clean (they came in twice a day).


The room attendant also made towel animals every night. This one's a monkey.


The food. Oh my goodness, I ate so much on this trip. It's so easy to overeat when it's all included and you can eat anytime. I didn't even try to restrain myself. I often ate when I wasn't even hungry, just because I could. :)

The shows were really great too. They even had one where the dancers flew in the air on ropes and stuff. I can't really describe it well, but it was awesome. There were comedians that were funny too, and a ventriloquist.

We spent some time just lounging on deck reading, but most of the trip was a lot of activity, but that's just the kind of vacationers we are. Next time I think I would go later in the year because it was kind of chilly sometimes (though definitely warmer than back home!)

While in Miami, we were able to stay with some friends, which saved us a ton on hotels and taxis. Thanks Katie and Dave, you guys are awesome!

Read on for more stuff on the ports we went to!

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! It is so hard to come back from those cruises because they spoil you so much. You get back and think "what? I have to make the meals? I have to clean the house?"

Funny enough, I went on this exact same cruise about 6 1/2 years ago with my family. We stopped at the same places and did some of the same activities as you and Mike. That ship may even be the same one we went on. Ours had the climbing wall and ice skating rink as well. I believe ours had a mini-golf course on the top too, I don't know if yours did. Although the golf wasn't very good so they may have taken that out.

I'm so glad everything went well and you were able to get away and spoil yourselves!

Angela said...

Cruises are so much fun! I'm glad you guys had a great time, you deserve it! I was laughing about your food comment because that's what I do too! I have no self control on cruises because like you said, when it's all included, why not just pig out the whole time??! lol :)

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness, that looks like so much fun! That's great you got to go! Now I really want to go...not for a long time though I think :)

Aaron said...

Glad you guys had so much fun! Miss you

Kathy&Mike said...

As you know, I LOVE CRUISING!!!! We went on a ship with the Flowrider, too, and it took me until the last day to work up the courage to try it, but I loved it. Mike never did try. I also LOVE the food. Once I gained 6 pounds on a cruise, but it was totally worth it!

TJ and Jessica said...

I'm SOOOO jealous!! It looks like so much fun!! That's awesome that you were able to have a vacation just the two of you. I'm glad you had such a great time!

Nate + Carlee said...

So, this is weird but I have been thinking about you all week because I have had the WORST sinus infection and I haven't been able to smell or taste ANYTHING! All week I have been thinking "this must be what Mary's life is like!" It's so weird to make food selections based on texture and whether they are sweet or salty...I feel like we now have a strange bond, because with the exception of this week, my sense of smell is better than most, and critical in my food selection. =)

Gary said...

Yeah, it is sooo hard to come back from a cruise. Oh wait, I've never been. Dang it!

Stan said...

You did a great job documenting all your fun. Did you get to relax or did you come back exhausted? It sounds like a total blast. I think you might have talked me into one. I always worry if I will get sick from the motion. It sounds as if you did everything. I'm glad you had a chance to go.