Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

And Your Name Is....?

My inability to remember people's names, and connect those names with the correct face, has caused me a significant amount of embarrassment over the years.

Today's example: Mike, Rachel and I were at the park. A woman I recognized from our ward was also there. We exchanged a friendly hello. I knew I should know her name, but I didn't. I thought maybe she was Tiffany, who I met several days ago on the way to the same park, who is a new person I visit teach, and who my partner had made an appointment with. A little while later, she sat down next to me and we started talking. Now was the moment of truth. I went for it. "So, did Shauna talk to you?" I said, referring to the appointment. She replied, "About what?" Crap! Not Tiffany. No idea what her name actually is. So I confess that I confused her with someone else, and I do not, in fact, know who she is. Which turns out to be ok, because she doesn't know my name either. We learn each others' names (her's is Cindy - aren't you proud of me for remembering a day later? I am proud of me, anyway). And now I remember what Tiffany looks like, and they look nothing alike.

Shorter story from several years ago: At church, I had like a 5 minute long conversation with a person who I thought was a completely different person. The thing here is that I really, really ought to have known who I was, and was not, talking to. I had been in the ward with both of these women for several YEARS. After a couple minutes of weird looks from the girl, I realized my mistake and fessed up. Then I proceeded to walk away and try not to cry.

See, the thing is, I get so embarrassed when stuff like this happens. I wish it didn't bother me so much, or that I was better at remembering people. Because I like people, I like making friends and talking with people. I really do. And I have this constant fear of saying or doing dumb things and that people won't like me. Yup, one of my biggest fears is not being liked. It seems like such a childish thing to be afraid of, and yet, I can't ever seem to shake it.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Maybe because we always seem to try to put our very best selves up on our blogs, and I think sometimes we all think everyone else out there is perfect and we're not. So here's my contribution to honesty in blogging. :)

3 comments:

Nate + Carlee said...

I love this! Mostly because I did the same thing the other day. So, I was sitting in relief society next to a girl I THOUGHT I had had a conversation with about how much we dislike the, "good news minute" and when the good news minute time came I elbowed her and said I know you have good news today, right? (smiling at her because I think I'm hilarious) and then she gives me this weird look and says, "actually it's been a really hard week for me...so, no." That's when I realized I had never even SPOKEN to this girl before. I thought I was going to die. So, you are definitely NOT alone.

Kathy&Mike said...

Mary, you always bring a smile to my face. I love you so much! I think we are twin daughters from different mothers. My latest thing is this: there is a woman in my ward whose name is Mary. Her husband's ex-wife was named Carol. I ALWAYS forget Mary's name and call her... yes, of course, CAROL. I bet she hates it more than anything, but I keep forgetting whether her name is Mary or Carol. I just want to kick my own behind every time I do it, but I keep doing it!!! UGGG!

Devin said...

You are awesome Mary! I admire your courage for fessing up when you don't remember names. Something everyone should so more, especially me.