Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hmm

How do you pack for a trip in which you: don't know when you're leaving, don't know how long you'll be gone, and will be taking care of a newborn while living in a hotel??

This is not a rhetorical question. We are starting to pack for when we get that very exciting phone call to drive out to Colorado. We're about 2 weeks away from Mindy's due date, so technically it could be any day now, and we'll leave as soon as she calls us plus however long it takes us to throw stuff in the car. We'll be there for somewhere between one and two weeks (we have to get clearance from Colorado before we can leave the state), and we'll be staying in a hotel. I tend to be an over-packer, and Mike is a major list-maker, which for this case are probably good things, as long as it all fits in the car...but since we are new to this, we could use some help! Moms - what could you not live without in the first couple of weeks? I'm trying to keep the house clean and do a load of laundry pretty much every day so nothing builds up and we can just get up and go. We made a list of all our stuff we want to bring that we can't pack until the last second. What other suggestions would you give us?

I also wanted to just say how much we love Mindy and how amazing she is - we are so blessed to know her! We just keep feeling that more and more as the time gets closer.

16 comments:

Lauren said...

I love swaddling in order to keep a newborn calm. So I went through TONS of receiving blankets in a week since they are often soiled. I also loved onesies. The cuter dressy outfits are nice, but if you are going to be inside mostly, they just get in the way of diaper changes and get spit up on. Also, make sure you take at least one open bottom sleep sack pajama. Carly had jaundice and we had to use the bilipad--a pad that lit up that she had to keep against her skin under her clothes. We had to go buy a bunch of sleep sacks. Hmm...mittens for the hands so she can't scratch herself...non-alcohol baby lotion (most baby lotions have some form of alcohol..check out california baby brand at target) since the alcohol is harsh on newborn skin. And a million burp rags. Those are my must haves.

Congratulations and good luck! I am so happy for you guys!

A Good Husband said...

I'm a nervous eater. Cherry tomatoes and string cheese work well for road trips, and they're not fattening (well, it's cheese, but it's better than candy).

Good luck guys, and please blog about it while you're out!

Amanda and Miles said...

lots of diapers & wipes, stain remover to spray on her clothes so the messes will come out, Tylenol & thermometer in case she gets sick, light weight blankets, (better to layer then have her too warm), you might need a nightlight for feeding her at night so there isn't too much light. those are just some things I can think of. I'm so happy for you.

Shannon and Doug said...

I only needed a few basic things when I had my babys. Diapers, wipes, open sac jammies (onsies if it is hot) boppy, and food. They really don't need much else.There is a whole hoard of things that magazines and baby stores will tell you that you have to have.Like a baby bath tub i just took a bath with my babys. I always thought it was way more work to get that little tub out, and they get so cold. A lot of it is super nice to have but not essential. You will do fine. You have great motherly instincts. Congratulations and good luch with your new baby girl!

Andrew and Charonne- said...

Mary I am so excited for you!!! I dont have a baby, but i do have a puppy and well, he loves his raw hide chew toys and his toy ball to play fetch with and well he loves me as do most babies, so you could pick me up on the way there, I will be ready :-). Is someone throwing you a baby shower? Let me know.

Cami said...

I was also going to suggest the open sack jammies, they are awesome and make nighttime diaper changings a cinch! Also, if she's a spitter upper bring lots of bibs and burp cloths, I STILL go through about 10 a day.. You can count your blessings if she isn't one. I love the playtex bottles. Just so you know, when you need to buy more drop-ins, they have the generic at Walmart, and they work just as well. They spray and wash is also good advice, if you don't spray the poopy stains right away, they are HARD to get out.

Good luck!!

Mary said...

Wow, thanks everyone so far for your GREAT comments, there are some things that I definitely hadn't thought of (like the spot remover). Charonne - We did have 2 family showers, so yeah, that was great!

So just so everyone knows I am reading and loving these suggestions, so keep 'em coming! I know baby stuff is one of those areas where you usually get a lot of unsolicited advice, but we love getting advice, every bit helps!

Aaron said...

Well, since I am the definite expert on babies, definitely bring 3 things in addition to the things already listed. 1. Caffeine. 2. Ear plugs, I know, sounds harsh, but it is for the one who gets to sleep so they will have energy during the daytime. 3. A good hand soap.

We are so excited for you. Let us know when you leave. We will be on cloud 9 for those couple of weeks knowing what is happening for you! Love you guys,
Josh, the baby expert

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

If you pick up the babies when they cry, then you don't need ear plugs. There isn't much that cuddling and carrying can't solve. Keep the baby's bed next to you and you don't have to move far to pick them up and feed them (you can take them with you to prepare the formula).

The things I can't live without are wipes (because they don't just clean babies!) and my baby carrier, which I still can't live without for both my seven month old and my 2-1/2 year old. Bryan uses it all the time, too. Carrying your baby skin to skin around the house will help build a connection, which I imagine is even more important in an adoption situation.

The other thing you really need is a nasal aspirator. A congested baby can't eat and will be very angry!

Ypu won't need soap or lotion for the first few weeks because you shouldn't submerge a baby until their cord falls off. A wet washcloth every day is just fine.

Babies eat/drink more when the weather is hot so be prepared to give her a little drink at least as often as you get yourself one.

When I took my kids to California for a wedding, all I brought were clothes, diapers, wipes and my carrier. Add formula and bottles, and you're set!

Nate + Carlee said...

We are so excited for you! A couple of things I really loved when Reid was a newborn were; something you can put them in and still walk around/use your hands (sling etc.), a bouncy seat so they can sit up and see you, (Reid kind of liked his space sometimes, but didn't want to be on his back). I wasn't able to breastfeed either, so I didn't really use a boppy at all. I found they were kind of a hassle. Also, I agree with the other posters, I didn't really use very many "outfits" because they mostly just sleep and spit-up and poop on everything. Also, the night light idea is BRILLIANT! Not having to turn on lights will be very helpful. Good luck! We are so so excited to meet little Rachel!

Kacorn said...

Havah was born in the winter... I've learned a lot of things this time around having a summer baby. Lots of those newborn t-shirts and onesies (sp?). I have barely used those footy sleepers at all because Lilly gets to hot. So plan for things that will keep her cool. I ditto the receiving blankets, just get some thin single layer ones if they're flannel.

Keep your camera in your car with extra batteries and a charger. It's the thing that you'll want most and will forget.

The last thing I would say to bring is a soft feather pillow (down or something really squishy). One of Cori and I'd favorite thing to do with our girls is lay them on the pillow in the bed between us. You're just going to want to look at her forever, but sometimes your arms will be tired. The pillow puts them up high enough that you don't have to worry about rolling on top of them.

Enjoy your sweet Rachel! I'm so excited to see a picture of her.

Tara said...

Mary, so good to find you on facebook and to see your blog. How fun that you are adopting! I am so excited for you guys, I know we had many conversations about how hard these sweet little babies can be to come by. Good luck to you, you guys will be awesome parents. My advice is just to enjoy every second of each moment. They grow up way too fast are are way too precious not to. Lots of comfy clothes: onesies and p.j.'s for the first couple of months. Our blog is private, but I would love to add you guys. Please send me your email at mikeandtara@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi Mary - This is Erin in NH - I know it may seem a little late to ask this question - but have you considered adoptive nursing? When we chose to adopt after infertility, one of the things I grieved the most was not being able to breastfeed, as I understood the amazing bonding and attaching experience it is. I then discovered you CAN nurse, using what is called a Supplemental Nursing System. I was able to nurse Bo for six+ months - until he started getting too frustrated that the SNS didn't feed him fast enough.

If you were interested in doing this, then I would HIGHLY recommend contacting a Lactation Consultant through a local birthing center (usually at a hospital) and obtaining your SNS before you go, so you can start right away. There is also a book on this topic from the La Leche League. You can find tons of info online. You can choose to attempt inducing lactation with a medication in addition, which I did, but to be honest, I don't think it is necessary. I didn't produce more than maybe 3 ounces a day, so I don't think it was worth it. But I am convinced that nursing Bo helped me make the transition into Mommy with him so much more completely and that our bond was so much the better for it.

Other than that, the only thing I can add is we took a book - The Baby Book by Dr. Sears with us which proved to be invaluable in the first weeks when Bo would do something we thought strange. We would look it up before rushing to an ER and would discover how normal and healthy he was. Saved us from a lot of embarrassing new parent moments!

Lastly, I would echo someone's comment about being skin to skin with Rachel - this is REALLY important!!! As SOON as you get her into your hands, I would recommend (this is going to sound strange) taking off your shirt - e(asy for Mike, not as much for you) - but just getting her familiar with your sent and body temperature and heart rhythm is so important. I think I shocked a few of the people in Stacy's birthroom when I immediately did that (I wore a button down shirt for that very reason!) They will more than likely have the baby all bundled up - just take that all off and use your own body heat to keep her warm - that is what she prefers anyway (and trust me, you will prefer that too!)

OH! I am so excited for you! Enjoy every single second of these days and weeks to come. They pass soooooo fast! We are praying for you and can't wait to see the pictures!!!!

Erin & David

Megan Miley and Chris said...

I would say my biggest suggestion is skin to skin contact. Whenever Miley was upset and we couldn't calm her. Either Chris or I would take off our shirt and rest her head by our heart. She LOVED it, and calmed down instantly. And burp rags are a must. Miley spit up A LOT. And the sleeper bags and onsies is all you need for clothes. And swaddling is the best. As tight as you can possible get her is best. And I am pretty sure I just second everything else that everyone said haha. Oh and a nose sucker! Stuffy baby is no fun. And they don't have to have a cold to have a stuffy nose. It just happens from time to time. Good luck! I found your blog on Holly and Matts page. Hope you don't mind! Visit mine itsmemeganlee.blogspot.com

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

Our La Leche League meets each month at the Provo Library, Mary. You can also call any of the leaders to have them come out to you (one of the leaders lives in Pleasant Grove). If you want contact info, let me know!

Jessica Munk said...

I definitely loved to have the bouncer seat! It was easy to move where ever I went and set the baby in. Socks, and a little hat are good, especially if you going to be running the AC to keep you guys cool. it may get too cold for the baby and other than the obvious things, hand sanitizer. And Mylicon drops (for gassy babies) save our lives with Zac. Maybe baby nail clippers. A couple other random tips, make sure your carseat is on one of the smaller strap settings and make sure you are familiar with how to adjust all the straps. Normally the hospital will make you have the baby all buckled correctly before you can leave. And baby clothes that are listed 6mo, means up to 6 months (3-6) and same for 9 mo..up to 9 months (6-9), so don't wait for her to be 9 months before you try to get her to wear it otherwise she will only fit it for a few weeks. Good luck we are so happy for you!!