Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Little Hikers

Mike was gone all day today, so the kids and I decided to get out of the house and have some fall fun. We drove up Nebo Loop, saw all the leaves changing color, and went on a couple little hikes. We had a blast.

The drive was amazing. The trees were exploding with color.

Our hike up Grotto Trail. It's only like .6 of a mile, so even Reed could walk it the whole way. 

Rachel insisted on wearing her hat backwards the whole time. And she got several compliments from other hikers on her princess hat and purple monkey backpack. She hikes in style.

I have to be honest, we haven't done much hiking (since Reed has only just become capable of it), but we will for sure be making it a regular thing, because both the kids LOVED it. They hopped over rocks, gathered leaves, climbed up and down and over. It was a blast. 

There were even log bridges to cross. Rachel did most of them on her own and I helped Reed.


Reed had to do everything that Rachel did. It's so cute.

I love how Rachel puts her arms out like this anytime she walks on anything remotely resembling a balance beam.

The hike ends at Grotto Falls, a cute little waterfall. 


After the hike, we continued up the scenic byway, stopping at overlooks and such. We ate lunch at this one. 

I have to put in a few pictures of the changing leaves. They were so incredible.



Our second "hike", which really wasn't much of a hike since the path is flat, short, and paved, took us out to "Devil's Kitchen", red rock formations that look out of place this far north in Utah.

All in all, we spent about 4 hours driving, hiking, and exploring this 38 miles of national forest. I had never been up here before but I'm sure we'll be back. It was a really fun day.
 
 And a really tiring day...


Also, we went to Cafe Rio for dinner later, and Rachel ate more than I have ever seen her eat at dinnertime. All that hiking really makes for a big appetite, I guess. :) 

I love experiencing the world with my kids.

2 comments:

Kathy&Mike said...

We were just at Grotto Falls over Labor Day. When we got to the falls, I thought, "This looks just like Hawaii, except smaller and colder and a lot less green." :)

Angela said...

What a fun mom you are!! I love all of the pictures, especially the one of Rachel holding her arms out for balance :) we were actually just at this same exact place for our family reunion this year! While we were camping there we were caught in several huge rainstorms. Not fun!!! The leaves definitely look different than they did a few weeks ago!