In my post where I asked whether or not people still read my blog, someone said that they liked the "Day in the Life" posts I did a couple years ago, so I decided to do another one, since they were really fun to do, and my days look a lot different now than they did 2 years ago when Reed was an infant. I like to look back on these and see what my life was like.
So...this will be a very wordy post, and if it doesn't interest you to read about the minute details of my life, I won't feel bad if you skip it. :) But it was fun to see where all my time went. So for those of you who wonder what a stay at home mom does all day, and are brave enough to do a lot of reading right now, here is *exactly* what I did today.
5:00 am- Reed wakes up. Reed wakes up at 5-5:30 every morning, so this is nothing new. Mike and I take turns getting up with him, and it was Mike's turn, so I put in earplugs and went back to sleep. :)
6:50 am- I am woken by Reed climbing on me. Get up and take Reed so Mike can take a shower. We go downstairs and I get him some chocolate milk and plop him in front of the computer to watch Doc McStuffins, his very favorite show. Go in the living room, lay on the couch, and check Facebook and read my scriptures on my phone.
7:15 am- Rachel wakes up and comes downstairs with her usual "Good morning Mommy". Reed uses a stool to climb on the counter and get a bag of cookies. I'm about to give in and just let him have a cookie for breakfast because I don't feel like fighting him when he decides he'd rather have a granola bar instead. Yay. Put stools away in the closet. Change show to Diego and tell Rachel I'll get her chocolate milk.
7:30 am- Family prayer and Mike leaves for work. Rachel is sad when he leaves and says, "I want Daddy!" and runs to the window to watch him drive away. Another show switch (the kids do a lot of watching shows in the morning, because frankly, I'm just not a morning person.) Rachel decides on Gumby. Say my prayer and read more scriptures. I've read exactly 2 words before
Rachel comes and lays with me and wants my phone. Give it to her and go
upstairs to put a load of laundry in. Reed follows me and we hide in
Rachel's bed from Daddy and "monster", according to Reed. He wants to watch "Stuffins" again so I go
down with him, put it on, and back up to get dressed.
Rachel follows me up and reminds me that I forgot to get her chocolate
milk. We go down to get it. Get myself a glass too.
8:00 am- Take out the garbage. Back upstairs to do my makeup and hair.
8:18 am- Rachel and Reed come upstairs to find me, and I finish getting ready with Rachel sitting on the counter and Reed underfoot. Reed decides he wants to go potty and sits on the toilet fully clothed and falls in. Change and dress Reed. Switch laundry. Put
in new load.
8:40 am- Sneak downstairs to find the recipe I want to use for a Relief Society activity tonight. Can't find the one I was thinking of, so I find a different one. Add
ingredients to shopping list. Get my purse packed for going out. Get Rachel dressed and her hair done.
9:15 am- Unload dishwasher amid Reed scream fest and 'helping', trying to make sure he doesn't drop anything breakable.
9:25 am- Get kids in the car and take
Rachel to preschool, and Reed and I head to Walmart. Part of the reason I love that Rachel is in preschool is that shopping with one child is SO much easier. We take our time and have fun. Reed insists on bringing like 5 toys into the store, but it keeps him happy. We get donuts and eat them in the car. While eating mine, I realize I forgot to buy water softener salt, something I always forget, so after wiping his hands and face, I get Reed back out and we go back and pay for the salt and put it in the van. We have some more time to kill, and there's a Maurice's right next to Walmart that I've always wanted to check out, so we go in and I get a top off the clearance rack. Love clearance racks.
11:00 am- Realize that we are now running a bit late, because I have to pick up Rachel early from preschool and go over to the speech therapy preschool that she starts next week and do some registration/orientation stuff. Rush home, drop off Reed at a neighbor's and put away the cold groceries. Pick up Rachel and go to the school. One of the teachers does a little evaluation with Rachel while I sign a bunch of papers. Then we stop off at this little boutique that I'm in love with called Bella Ella, because their clearance stuff is half off. See previous comment about clearance racks. :)
12:45pm- Get home, hang out in the front yard with the neighbor who watched Reed and our kids.
1:00.- Get lunch for the kids, put away the rest of Walmart stuff and switch laundry. (Today was a big laundry day, but really, sometimes I feel like my life is just one big load of laundry). Change Reed's diaper. The kids are still playing with the neighbor kids, but inside now.
1:30- Friends go home, and we have some quiet time while I eat lunch.
2:00- Check Facebook. Talk to Mike on the phone. Fold laundry. Reed 'helps' so it takes 25 minutes to fold one load of towels.
2:30- Rachel comes up, announces she's Swiper the fox and proceeds to
swipe Reed (lift him out of the laundry basket). This results in
wrestling, screaming, and Rachel getting hurt. After 2 more times of
Rachel screaming that Reed hurt her, they get some forced alone time.
I put Rachel in her room with the kiddy door lock on outside so Reed can't get in, and she plays quietly and happily in her room. Fold another 2 loads.
Rachel comes out, throws a major fit when Reed steals her toy and I put
her back in her room, she screams. Oh, there is so. so. much screaming at our house sometimes.
3:00- Get Reed some juice, go upstairs help Rachel find a lost mickey mouse toy. Play Words
with Friends, stopping at Reed's request to help him put a diaper on a stuffed bear and put
it "night night". Change Reed.
3:20- Get Rachel juice, because she saw Reed's. The kids watch Yo Gabba Gabba while I go up and check
laundry again. Have you ever seen Yo Gabba Gabba? That is one seriously strange kids' show. Go watch it, your life will never be the same. Fold a load of sheets and make Reed's bed. Read Parenting magazine.
3:50- Sweep and mop kitchen floor. Reed keeps falling on the wet floor, even though I tell him to stay off it. Hopefully he'll learn someday.
4:15- We all have a snack of yogurt, Reed has three refills of his bowl. That kid can down yogurt like you wouldn't believe.
4:25- Make a pear pie for the Relief Society activity tonight.
5:10- Switch laundry. Yes, again. Try to make 'pie shield', where you put tin foil around the crust of the pie so it doesn't burn, but this is the most frustrating part of my day, as the foil will not stay on, and I can't press it hard because the pie is hot. I really want to throw the pie out the window, but finally I get it to work.
5:30- Clean up toys in living room. Call Clearplay (the makers of our awesome DVD player) and ask them if they can send me a new remote since the kids lost ours I haven't been able to find it for weeks. They say it's $25 for a new one. Guess I'll keep looking. Sit on the living room floor and sing some songs and pretend to be animals with the kids.
6:00- Play Words with Friends some more. (It sounds like I play this a lot, and I do play it often, but only for like 1.5 minutes each time, haha). Take pie out.
6:15- Make grilled cheese sandwiches for everyone else. Have to convince Rachel to eat grilled cheese, because when I asked her if she wanted some, she said "No! I want pie!" Mike gets home and has to get on the phone because as he was driving home, work called because someone sliced their hand open and they have to figure out where to take him for urgent care (Mike's an HR Manager).
6:30- Kids eat, Mike eats, and we get the kids ready for bed.
7:00- Go to Relief Society activity, eat, chat, etc. This is obviously not an everyday evening. Usually I would do a mountain of dishes (but I kept on top of them today, yes!), play on my phone, maybe watch a show and iron. Do some other random cleaning or computer stuff. I love that the kids go to bed at 7:00. And if you're wondering, no, Reed will not sleep in later if he goes to bed later, unfortunately.
8:45- Come home. Pay some bills and type this up.
9:45- Shower, read scriptures with Mike, get ready for bed. Try to get to bed early because tomorrow's my turn to get up with Reed. Hoping he "sleeps in" (6:00 is sleeping in). *Yawn*
And that is what I did today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like mama needs a break. Such a loving mama. Bless you.
What a neat idea! And cool to look back at!
Post a Comment