Yes, sometimes I feel crazy enough to be institutionalized, but that's not what I'm referring to.
Lately I've been feeling like I've been neglecting my spirituality. I was still reading (superficially) my scriptures, praying, and going to church. I have a strong testimony, but I knew I wasn't doing enough. We teach Primary in our ward, which we love, but I never get to go to Sunday School or Relief Society. Paying attention in sacrament meeting is hard, because we're chasing kids. Doing the daily things seemed hard too because quiet moments are hard to come by around here. These were my excuses. But then I thought about it, and I realized that this time in my life, when I have young children, is when it's most important for me to be at my spiritual best. I have to show them by my example what it means to have faith, to do the right things. I have to make my house a home where the Spirit dwells. I can't just "get by". And all the excuses that I have don't cut it. I make time for the things that are important to me. Why not this?
So I've decided to make some changes. I'm trying to more consciously walk with Christ in my daily life. To keep Him close by having a prayer in my heart more often and offer little prayers of thanks or for guidance throughout the day. I'm trying to really study my scriptures instead of just reading them (notebook and everything, woot!) And yesterday I signed up for an institute class at Orem Institute. I haven't taken a religion class since I graduated BYU 3 1/2 years ago, and haven't taken one at Orem since I left UVU in 2005. So I was kind of nervous, but really excited! I'm one of those crazy people who loves school (minus tests and papers, that is), so I love being in that environment again. I'm taking a class called The Parables of Jesus, and really enjoyed the first class yesterday. I'm so excited to be making some changes. I hope it makes me a better mommy and wife, and helps me grow closer to my Heavenly Father and Savior.
Plus, it's a couple hours a week out of the house. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good for you! Thanks for the reminder to raise my line of sight above the mundane!
And once again, you've inspired me, Mary! What a GREAT idea that is. I love school too, and I've been feeling very un-spiritual lately (pretend that's a real word!) Like you said there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to fit it in, but I manage to find the time to do the things I think are important, so I know it's my own priorities that are wrong. You are so right that it's so important at THIS time in our lives to be doing these things. Thanks for being such a good example. :) Love you guys!
Post a Comment