Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Sweet Goodbye. And Some Pictures.

Today we said goodbye to something that we've had for our entire marriage, in some form or another. It's something that was always there, looking over our shoulders, sometimes going down, sometimes up. We always wanted to get rid of it someday, though it's something that most people have.



What is it that we said goodbye to today?


.
.
.


Our debt.


All of it.


Yesiree, as of today, for the first time since we've been married, Mike and I are 100% completely debt-free. Forgive the horrible grammar here, but we don't owe nobody nothin'! Now granted, we don't have a house. But we have two cars (albeit used) and we have an associate's and two bachelor's degrees between us. We've worked hard to not carry a credit card balance whenever possible, we've paid off car loans as quickly as we can, and we've paid off a heck of a lot of student loan debt in the last year or two since we've graduated (we've never gotten grants, and I only got a scholarship one semester, so we were loans all the way, baby). We are so happy to have accomplished this, because we hated having that monkey on our backs.

We consider this an incredible blessing that we have been able to do this. I hope I don't sound braggy, I'm just really excited about it. I realize this is not an easy thing, and not something that's possible for everyone right now (we both worked through college, and for the first year out of college, both had full time jobs and no children). But if I may, I encourage everyone to do their best to stay out of debt, and pay off debt, as best you can, because this is a fabulously peaceful feeling.

So what are we going to do now that we're debt-free? Why, we're going to go out and make the biggest kind of purchase you can make and get back in over our eyeballs, of course. It's the American Way.

I'm sort of kidding. We are going to look into buying a house, which is Debt with a capital 'D', but our plan is to buy something sensible that we can actually afford. I'll keep you posted as that whole adventure pans out.

And now some Rachel pictures. We took pictures on Easter, but they are on Mike's mom's camera, so those will have to come later, but there's a couple post-Easter shots at the end here.

Happy baby.


Lounging baby.


Staring baby.

In her "Pooh" sweats, complete with adorable ears on the hood. It's 12 month size, so I was worried she'd never wear it - but the weather was nice and rainy today. Perfect for Pooh.

Rachel loves sticking her finger up people's noses. It's her way of saying hi. Not sure where she gets it, since neither Mike nor I say hi that way...


I think she's on the verge of crawling... we shall see


"Hi Dad!"


I let Rachel have a go at a chocolate bunny today, just to see what she'd do...


This is what she did. I had to fish the poor bunny's ear out of her mouth because she bit off such a big hunk.


So many choices...


These jelly beans look good...


But they taste like plastic wrapper!

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you! It feels awesome when you finish paying off debt! I am so scared for grad school and all the expenses that go with it... ugh! I love that you give Rachel so many different foods. You inspire me to try more with Grace, I'm not so good at that!

Mike, Mary, and Rachel said...

It feels so good to be out of debt!
I love my babykins!
-Mike

TJ and Jessica said...

That's awesome Mary! I would LOVE to have our car paid off, I can only imagine what it feels like. I've always been told not to feel like you're in debt when you have a mortgage because obviously you need a roof over your head, just make sure you live within your means. That helps me sleep at night :)

Mary said...

I agree Jess - owing money for a modest home and car is not a bad thing. A mortgage is scary though! But it will be an adventure. :)

Gary said...

As a big fan of fiscal responsibility, I salute you.

Aaron said...

Great, now you can start on my debt! Congratulations on that! We payed off our debt a couple years ago and it was the best feeling in the world. Then we started school again and the debt piled on like roaches on a glue stamp. Thanks for being examples once again! We are also on a quest to rid ourselves of debt. We should celebrate your debt free-ness, and ours when we get there!

Rory & Lori said...

That's so awesome you guys! We were fortunate enough to get out of debt recently as well! With the exception of a small student loan that we will have to start paying on this december, but we don't feel bad about it since it is interest-free and we will just pay it right off. Luckily we have been able to mooch off my parents for a little while. I know what you mean about the peaceful feeling. We payed off our credit card, car, and Rory's motorcycle and now we are able to afford a house. I know that's some major debt, but it is such a great investment. Just from our tiny little condo we made $30,000 in 3 years. So I think it's super smart to buy if you can, even if it's something small you can only live in for a little while and then sell and have a nice down payment on a new house!

Good luck house hunting-it's so exciting!

Kathy&Mike said...

Congrats! That's such a great accomplishment. I think some people don't realize what an asset a good credit score is. We treasure ours and watch it like a hawk. And, I agree, a house is a good investment.
Love the pictures! She's growing some hair!

Andrew and Charonne- said...

congrats, that is awesome, wanna buy our house>\?

steph said...

Ahhh what a nice feeling to be debt free. I'll let you know how I feel when it happens in a decade or so, thanks to our good friends the Student Loans. I'm very happy for you both (and Rachel, too). Good luck during the home hunt. Now is probably one of the best times ever to be buying a house. Lucky ...