Maybe it's my paranoid nature, or maybe it's just first time motherhood, but the question, "Is that normal?" runs through my head at least once a day. Everything Rachel does, and every little physical feature is carefully scrutinized by me. I've called the nurse line at our pediatrician's office so many times they probably think I'm crazy. Heck, I probably am crazy.
This is why I love well-child visits. I always go armed with a long list of questions, and always come away with the reassurance that yes, Rachel is developing perfectly normally, she's perfectly healthy, and everything is just fine and dandy. Here's today's rundown:
Length: 26 inches, 50th percentile
Head: 42.5 cm, 50th percentile
Weight: 15 lbs, 3 oz, 25th percentile
Chunkiness of thighs: 110th percentile for chubby cuteness, measured only by us :)
She got more shots, including a flu shot (this is the last time she'll get so many shots at once), and cried of course, but stopped almost as soon as I picked her up.
Her upper lip is still cracked and we put Lansinoh on it many times a day to keep it from cracking open and bleeding, but our Dr. said this was probably due to Rachel having a more pronounced frenulum (that flap of skin connecting the upper lip and gum), which gives her a kind of blister on her lip, and sucking from a bottle many times a day just keeps it from completely healing. Nothing really we can do though except put stuff on it and wait, and it's fine.
We've been concerned that she always stands on the sides of her feet or her toes. He looked at her stand and moved her hips around, and of course it's fine.
She has a little rash on her armpits and other creases, which are just tiny burst blood vessels. Again, fine.
She does not like to flex her feet (hence the standing on the toes - maybe she'll be a ballerina) and also doesn't really like to sit up, she always arches her back and leans back when we sit her up. But he said just give her opportunities to sit and she'll do it when she's ready. She can sit on her own, she just doesn't really like to. :)
Of course, those weren't all my questions, but I don't want to bore anyone to tears. The doctor even said, "She's developing great, you got a good one!"
Rachel also tried sweet potatoes the other day. The first bite elicited a "What is this??" reaction, but when I mixed it with the cereal, down it went. Then I gave her some bites not mixed in again, and they disappeared too. She's turning into such a good eater. Yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My little sister always stood on her toes, and the sides of her feet. She still does it today, as does her youngest daughter. It actually turned out to be a good thing for them. Their calf muscles are way cut and strong. I guess if you like strong and cut calf muscles, that is a good thing:)
Mary,
Thanks for the invite to your blog. It was sooo fun to see you, Mike and Rachel last night. We are so happy for you. That little girl is soo lucky to have found her way to your home. Hope you'll have so many happy and wonderful times with her. We love you.
Bishop & SIster Chappell
Post a Comment