Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

His Hand

Through no fault of his own, Mike has had a lot of uncertainty about his job lately. His position was based on a project, and that project is now over. And while his boss assured him that he would have a job in the new fiscal year (which started today), she couldn't guarantee what it would be. We still don't know exactly what his job is right now, but things seem to be working out.

Anyway, we were talking about this tonight, and the resulting financial ramifications, and the conversation drifted to how much more spending money we would have if we had stayed in our rental townhouse in north Utah County and not bought a house last year. We love our house, but I started wondering if maybe we had been too hasty, after all. Maybe we should have continued renting. I could have a DVR.

As I knelt to pray, I seriously felt confused about it. And then a thought hit me. But before I tell you what that is, I need to tell you three facts:

1. Before we started house hunting, we were also thinking about reapplying for adoption. Rachel was one, and we were eligible to apply again. We had always figured we would reapply the second she turned one. We went to the temple and prayed, seeking answers to know if we should buy a house, and if we should apply for adoption. We thought that the answers we would get would be not to buy a house, and to apply for adoption. The answers we got were the opposite. It confused us. It seemed contradictory to Heavenly Father's plan of building families (and not getting into debt). But we trusted Him. We bought a house. We did not apply for adoption again at that time.

2. When we were searching for our house, we originally wanted to stay in the north of the county, but we felt good about including areas south of Provo in our search. When we found our house, it immediately felt like home, and everything fell perfectly into place. In the area we were renting our townhouse, we were with the American Fork LDS Family Services agency. When we moved, we were now in the area of the Provo agency instead. The Provo agency is the only agency in Utah that still has all its couples make a hard copy of their profile with a picture collage and letter. All other agencies only allow online profiles.

3. When Reed's birth parents decided to place two days after he was born, they had their case worker bring them 20 adoptive couple profiles. Only hard copies. They never looked at any online profiles.

So, the thought that hit me tonight is this:

If we hadn't bought our house, we wouldn't have Reed.

We had a good deal on rent in our townhouse, and we were close to family there. There's no way we would have moved unless it was to buy a house. We wouldn't have had a hard copy profile. Shelah and Chris would never have seen us. Reed would not be our son.

I started to cry when I realized this. When I realized that the Lord truly, honestly guides us with His hand. And how we have to trust Him, even when we don't see it. I never would have guessed that buying a house would lead to adopting another precious miracle. At the time, the answer to buy a house and not apply for adoption seemed counterproductive to building our family. But Heavenly Father wasn't building a family. He was building our family. And our family includes Reed. Not just any baby. Reed.

How glorious is our Lord. How perfect is His understanding. How feeble our own. I'm glad I trusted Him, even when I couldn't see why. His hand has built our family, and I will forever be grateful and praise Him.


And I'm okay with not having a DVR.


13 comments:

Kacorn said...

I read this and was wishing there was a 'like' button :) Love you Mary.

Rebecca said...

You and Mike are such great examples. You both are able to see the Lord's hand in your life way more than I ever do in mine. I hope I can be more like you guys. Thanks for the post.

Kathy&Mike said...

I love that you're in tune with the Spirit enough to recognize God's hand in all things. Isn't He amazing? Most people would never have thought it through like you did. He always knows what's best for us better than we know for ourselves. I love you.

Amanda said...

Mary, I love reading your blog. You are always inspiring me! Thanks for sharing your amazing testimony with us (and me in particular). I'm always uplifted when I read your thoughts :) So, thank you!

Devin said...

Mary!! Love this post. I just love your blog. You guys are so amazing. Thank goodness for His tender mercies... letting us see His hand in our lives. I admire you guys so much

Puga Family said...

Hi, I know you dont know me.I am Chris's sister June. I am so very happy Reed is where he belongs. I know that my mom would be very proud knowing he is in a good home. She is watching down on us. Reed is loved more then he could ever know.

Mindy Hawks said...

This totally made me cry! I'm always amazed when I stop to think of those little miracles in my life too.

Mindy Hawks said...

This totally made me cry! I'm always amazed when I stop to think of those little miracles in my life too.

Mombrud said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony. I find it helps to watch for the Lord's hand in my life too. I always feel humbled and so very grateful when I take the time to consider all he does.

Kiersten said...

You have such beautiful posts. Thank you so much for sharing that!

TJ and Jessica said...

Mary, I am so inspired by your testimony! This totally made me cry too. It's just so amazing how the Lord works. Sometimes it's hard to understand, but he obviously knows what's best for us. I was actually thinking about something similar the other day. If we had been able to get pregnant on our own or when we first started trying, I can guarentee we would only have or would only be having 1 baby. Also, our doctor suggested that we only transfer 1 embryo. We prayed about it and it didn't feel right for us to only do one. Now I know Heavenly Father was trying to tell us we had more than one coming :) His tender mercies are amazing and I am so grateful for the gospel. I hope and pray that everything goes okay for Mike's job. We love you guys!

Mindy Hawks said...

Jeez Jess, make me cry again!! lol

Angela said...

This was good for me to read because I will admit that I'm not always as spiritually in-tune as you and my sisters are and it's really hard for me to understand and recognize His hand sometimes in my life... most recently with my miscarriage. I hope that someday I will come to an epiphany like you have, but for now I am still really confused and sad that it happened and trying to understand why this was a part of His plan. But I appreciate your good example and I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us that is greater than our own understanding and even though that can really, really difficult to accept sometimes, I'm trying to put my faith in Him.