Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Misconceptions

Apparently, November is National Adoption Month. I love sharing our stories and thoughts about adoption. Hopefully you don't get sick of reading them, because I don't see an end in sight anytime soon. I'm kind of obsessed with talking about adoption. My apologies in advance if this post comes off as a rant, because it's about some misconceptions people have had about adoption, or at least, our adoptions. And these are only my points of view. Other adoptive parents might feel differently about some of these things.

The other day I was talking to some close family member or friend about Rachel and Mindy (thank goodness for my bad memory, because I don't remember who I was talking to, so I can't hold it against them. :) Not that I would try to anyway.) We had just gone to Mindy and Jake's sealing, and I was telling this person how we were planning on Rachel having a sleepover weekend with Mindy sometime soon (which she did just last week). I went on to talk about how great I thought it was that Rachel has been able to develop a great relationship with Mindy, and how much I would love for them to always be so close.

Then I noticed 'the look' on this person's face. I've seen it before. It's a look that says, "I'm smiling because I don't want to burst your bubble, but I don't think you're doing the right thing." Specifically, it's a look that wonders why we try to have such a close relationship with Mindy, and if such a relationship is damaging or confusing to Rachel. This person wondered aloud, as others have done before, if Rachel might someday declare her intention of running away to live with Mindy instead of us. Or that she might grow up confused as to who her "real" mom is.

Why do these thoughts seem so rational to other people? It always just sounds like a bunch of silliness to me. Allow me to list some facts about Rachel's adoption.

-Rachel has two moms. We are both perfectly "real". I share the title of Rachel's Mom. This does not bother me. At all. I'm not saying that to be nice, or to try to be Christ-like, even though I don't feel it. Honest to goodness, cross my heart and hope to die, I am okay with being one of Rachel's moms. Please believe me.

-Rachel knows, even at age 2, that I am the mom who is raising her. Give the girl some credit.

-Imagine that Rachel did not know her birth mom. That Mindy was someone she knew of, but was never talked of and certainly someone she never saw, except in a rare photo - some fantasy person who only lives in her imagination, that she could build up to be absolutely perfect. This seems to me like the situation in which Rachel would want to run away and live with her birth mom. Mindy is a real person to Rachel. And sure, years from now she might stomp her foot and declare that she's running away to live with Mindy, because I'm just so mean. I would react to this in the same way another mom would react when their child decides to run away with the circus or a fun aunt. Not the end of the world.


Another thing people always say to me is how much our children look like us. I'm sorry to say it, but it kind of bothers me when people say this. Okay, I can see that you're squirming, because you've said this to me. Don't worry, you're in good company, because everyone says this to us. Literally, everyone. I know it's well-intentioned. It's meant as a compliment, and I make every effort to smile and take it as such, because I hope to always see other people for their intentions, not my interpretation of their words.

But here's my beef with it. My kids don't need to look like me to be my kids. It's like people are trying to say it's better if they don't look adopted, or validate my motherhood of them by saying they could have been conceived by me. But I'm glad they weren't. I'm so glad that they're adopted. If we had conceived them, they wouldn't be who they are. I love Rachel's blond hair and blue eyes. And there is no way, with my centuries of French-Canadian, brown hair, brown eye heritage, that I would give birth to a blue-eyed blond. I love Reed's cute chunkiness, and we all know that Mike's no linebacker.

I feel no need to pretend that I gave birth to Rachel or Reed. They are adopted. It is a wonderful part of who they are. Granted, it's not everything about who they are, but we never try to pretend that it's not there. I'm not sad they're adopted, and I hope they never are either.

One last thing, please, please never let your children tease each other with the phrase, "You're adopted!" I know, all kids do this. We did. I hear it on TV commercials and in watching siblings play together in the park. It bothers me - hurts me, like you can't imagine. I shudder to think of Rachel or Reed being older and overhearing other kids say this phrase to each other in that tone. Like something is wrong with you if you're adopted. Like you aren't really part of the family. I'm not looking forward to having to dry those tears someday.

Having or being an adopted child is not a consolation prize.
My children are gifts beyond my wildest dreams.

13 comments:

TJ and Jessica said...

I love your posts about Adoption and hope you don't stop sharing your thoughts. I also love the relationship that you have with Mindy and I know it is what's best for you, Mindy and Rachel. Your family is now a part of our family and I just think it is so amazing! It bothers me too when people make comments about how close you guys are, but I love your insight about seeing peoples intentions and not your interpretation of their words. (I need to remember that!) I worry that Joey has or will be teased too because he was adopted. Just thinking about it upsets me! I love Joey just as much as I love Mindy and I feel so blessed to have him as my brother. You are an amazing mother, Mary!

Malinda Jane Sieg said...

I agree about loving to hear what you have to say about adoption. Your family is so beautiful and it makes me happy to see how blessed you have been with TWO little ones! I just can't get over how old they are getting! Wasn't it just yesterday that we were both sitting in relief society in the 75th ward with no little friends blessing our lives? Life sure is good!

Heather said...

About the whole "kids have to look like you to actually be yours" Keely looks nothing like me the only thing we have in common, we are both girls. but I'm good, and I like that you don't care either... next time someone tells you your kids look like you, see what your child has in common with that person and tell them the kid looks like them too! I think it would be kinda funny. Love you guys!

Heather said...

About the whole "kids have to look like you to actually be yours" Keely looks nothing like me the only thing we have in common, we are both girls. but I'm good, and I like that you don't care either... next time someone tells you your kids look like you, see what your child has in common with that person and tell them the kid looks like them too! I think it would be kinda funny. Love you guys!

Puga Family said...

I think your posts are so great! I think its wonderful that you, Rachel, and Mindy have a good relationship. I know I have never had a great relationship with my brithmother. Its not right for everyone but if it works for you. Thats great! Hope you dont mind me reading you blog and making comments. Being that I am Chris's sister June. Keep up the great work!

Devin said...

You're great Mary! I seriously love your blogs, and hearing your thought. This post is my thoughts EXACTLY! Almost like you could haven taken them straight from my mouth. I don't understand people's distorted view of adoption and having an open adoption at that. Oh well! Guess all we can do is educate them.

sueyado said...

I think it's pretty funny when people say my adopted children look like me! I think that your relationship with Rachel's birth mother is amazing! We don't have that here, and my children both fantasize about what their mother is like. It would be better if we knew them! You guys are great! Love you all! :)

Ben and Stephanie Taylor said...

Mike and Mary, my respect for you keeps growing. My mother and mother in law lived in the same ward for a while. Sometimes others wondered if there was ever any competition between them for our grandkids attention and affection. They both said "of course not! Children can never have too much love!" I think your thoughts and their thoughts go hand in hand. Children can never receive too much love. Rachel is lucky to have two moms who love her.

Mindy Hawks said...

Oh, Mary, I just love you! :) And you are always able to explain things in the best way! I 100% agree with you about not minding sharing the title of Rachel's mom. And there is literally no one else
I could imagine (or would want to imagine) sharing it with besides you! I get so hurt by the comments people make about adoption and most of the time they say them not meaning to be rude, but it's hard being the most sensitive topic for me! I've also had people tell me they think it's unfair to Rachel to have me in her life because it will confuse her. But I think (and hope) she will be incredibly well rounded since she will know me and she will know where she came from and who I am. She will never wonder what I'm like and how life could have possibly been for her. The funny thing is the woman who made that comment to me had been adopted and had never met her birthmom so she was really bitter about adoption, so it made me think how much better she would have felt if she had known her birthmom. I'm just so happy you feel the same way and want me to be a part of her life.

Mindy Hawks said...

Oh, and I agree about not liking when kids (or adults! I've heard adults joke about it) use the "you're adopted" joke. I HATE it! Wouldn't it be nice if more people understood how amazing adoption is??

Mombrud said...

You go Momma Bear! Your children are so lucky to have such strong, confident parents who stand up for their kids and for themselves. You are amazing! I also think that this world would be a much happier place if people would consider the intentions of the people making comments rather than jumping to take offense. So few people are intentionally hurtful. Good for you in realizing that!

DMN said...

Hi, Devin just linked to your blog and I love it! We just adopted our first daughter. I totally agree. My friend had a lot of irrational questions about our open adoption! Some people just don't get it.
http://ldsinfertility.blogspot.com/

Jessalynn Speight said...

I really enjoyid this so much! I saw your post from Devin's blog! Thanks for sharing!
Jessa
birthmothers4adoption.blogspot.com