Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Meme & Pepe Visit

My parents live in Connecticut, so unfortunately, we don't get to see them very often. But when we do, it's so fun! They drove out this last week and spent about 4 days with us. The last time we had seen them was a little over a year ago, so it was really good to see them again, especially since Rachel has grown so much since then.

They started their trip by driving out to Colorado to visit my mom's brother who lives there, and did some sightseeing there before heading over to our place. They'll also be heading to Glacier national park after leaving us.

Rachel with her Meme and Pepe (which is French for Grandma and Grandpa, my heritage is mostly French - that's what I called most of my grandparents growing up too).

This stool was my Nana's and I always remember it being in her house - I used to sit on the floor and use it as a tv tray whenever we slept over. My Dad stenciled the top of it years ago when he and Nana took a class together. My parents brought it to pass on to me. Rachel loves it.

And since it's Rachel's birthday soon, she got her birthday gifts early.
A cool turtle sandbox

And an awesome kiddie pool! Thanks Meme and Pepe!


My family used to go up to a cabin in Maine during the summer, and we'd spend the evenings playing Rummy - so I had to play a bunch with my mom while she was here. (It looks boring, but we're having fun, I promise).


My dad is SO cute with Rachel, I'm not sure who was having more fun when they played together- Rachel or Pepe.


I just thought this was funny how Rachel was so proud of her rock collection she piled on the deck.


Boomer was glad to have more people to play with too. He didn't like when we kicked him outside.


On Friday while Mike was at work and my dad was out visiting old friends (they lived in Utah for 10 years), my mom, Rachel, and I went over to Thanksgiving Point's farm country to check out the animals. Rachel loved it - especially feeding the goats and llamas.


And the pony ride - she didn't even need me to hang on, I just walked next to her. A couple times she started to slide off, and she's just scoot back on. She smiled and laughed the whole time.

Later that night we dropped Rachel off at the babysitters and went out for a great dinner at Tepanyaki (a Japanese steakhouse where they cook the food right in front of you and put on a bit of a show). The food was delicious, but the best part of the night was when the chef was tossing shrimp for everyone to catch in their mouths (which I actually caught for a change!), and when he threw it at my dad, he ducked and the shrimp hit him in the back. He hates seafood. Haha.


Rachel also liked wearing Pepe's cool hat.


On Saturday, my dad helped Mike work out in the yard, and then we went over to say hi to Mike's parents.

Rachel loves the hammock, especially leaning over it.

Hi!

Rachel also discovered, from Grandma's garden, a new food that she LOVES - peas! She loved picking them out of the shells and kept saying, "Peas! Peas!" over and over.

Concentrating on the peas.


This morning before they left, we just hung out. This is Rachel giving Mike a massage.

Then he returned the favor.


Rachel looking exceedingly bored with Meme's book.


And just like that, it was already time for them to leave this morning. :(
Kisses for Meme

And Pepe.

As they were walking out the door, my dad said, "Love you!" and Rachel, who we have been trying to get to say "love you" for ages, shouted "La Yoo!"

Yeah, she'll miss them.

I will too.

5 comments:

Mike, Mary, and Rachel said...

Great weekend with mom and dad, so glad they came over. It was so cool to hear Rachel finally say "Love you," as they were leaving.
-Mike

Angela said...

Megan has the same pink dress that Rachel is wearing in the first and last pictures with your parents! Haha! There's another one to add to our list. I'm glad you all had fun! I want to take our kids to Thanksgiving Point now too, your pictures are so cute. I also loved how she said "Love you!" So sweet!!

Mindy Hawks said...

There were so many cute pictures! I cracked up at the one of her head hanging under the hammock! And I love the ones of her and Mike. :)
I'm glad Rachel has so many sets of grandparents that love her so much!!

Mindy Hawks said...

PS I just noticed those 2 quotes you put up on here...they made my eyes tear up a little!!

Kathy&Mike said...

I also love peas fresh from the garden. Mine have already been eaten by me and Joey. We never even brought any into the house; we just stood out in the garden and ate them all.
I love the picture of Rachel and your dad looking at each other. Rachel looks like she is trying to explain something to him. So cute!