Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Irony of Motherhood

It's ironic to me that I'm awake for more hours during the day, and more often, but that there still seems to be no time in the day and that the days are flying by. Our cute little munchkin still only sleeps for a maximum of 2 hours at a time. I'm learning all sorts of new things, like that the sprinklers outside our townhouse come on from 2:45 to 3:00 every morning, and that my husband can be completely incoherent in the middle of the night, like this from about a week ago:

*Baby is crying*

Me: Mike, can you get her her bottle?
Mike: Uh-huh

*No movement. Baby continues crying. I wait a minute*

Me: Mike?
Mike: Uh-huh

*Wait again. Still nothing. Baby crying harder now*

Me: Seriously, Mike, can you get her a bottle?
Mike (in a very drowsy, slow voice): Huh? Oh, I thought you were talking about something else.
*Gets up*
Me (to myself): What else would I possibly have been talking about?

We laughed about it the next morning. He is really good about getting up with her the vast majority of the time though, just so you know.

It's so fun watching Rachel grow. She's awake a bit more now, and can occasionally lift up her head and look around when she's on our chests or on her tummy. I always used to think it was strange when parents got excited about their baby's seemingly little achievements like rolling over or holding their heads up, but now I get it. Whenever Rachel does something new, I get crazy excited. It's so fun. :) Anyway, here are some pictures.

I know there are a lot of picturs of her in this position, but I just think it's so darn cute.

Cute little toes


Mike is laughing because she was holding the bottle completely by herself while she was eating, and at the perfect angle. It was funny.


See? Here's the proof


Daddy daughter snuggle time


Aww


I love the crinkly forehead look


Mindy and her folks were up from Colorado to do a pioneer trek and visit Mindy's sister Jessica in Idaho, so we invited them to stop by on their way back and visit. They love to just hold and stare at her.


6 comments:

Angela said...

Hey there! I love the pictures, she is so unbelievably adorable!! How are things going for you guys? I finally set up a blog for our little gang too, it's ryanandange.blogspot.com if you're interested! (It's not nearly as cool as your's! I'm still figuring this out!! hehe) I hope you are all doing great! Lots of love, Angela

Cami said...

she is seriously beautiful! I love the daddy daughter pictures. You can tell you guys are proud parents. :)

Holly and Matthew said...

Oh thank you for so many fun updates! I love going to the blog to hear more! ;) She is sooo beautiful. I know I keep saying it, but that's only because I REALLY mean it! ;) AWh... one day I will get to hold her right? :) haha :) Good luck sleeping! :)

Gary said...

The sleep thing is brutal. Pretty much the whole focus of our existence is looking forward to getting little Jimmy to sleep 6 hours straight at night. The things you take for granted...........

The Bowldens said...

rachel is so gorgeous!

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

Right now her tummy is the size of a small ball. As she gets bigger, she'll be able to hold more food and water at a time. Don't worry! It will happen!

Ifyou are interested in a really balanced and gentle sleep book, our favorite is Sweet Dreams : A Pediatrician's Secrets for Baby's Good Night's Sleep, by Paul M. Fleiss. It talks about the natural sleep rhythms of childrens at different ages, and the different things that encourage and discourage healthy sleep patterns. We read many sleep books and this was the most beneficial and useful for us, especially once Connor hit the toddler stage and STILL wasn't a good sleeper. (Our baby is a better sleeper than he is!)

I'm sure you are sick of unsolicited advice but I thought I'd pass it on in case it helps...