
Last Saturday night, we went with Mike's family to the Pleasant Grove Strawberry Days Rodeo. Since both of us kind of grew up in PG, this is very much a yearly tradition. Summer would not feel complete without the Rodeo. And there are actually a lot of national winners that compete, so it's not quite as small-town as you might think. (Not that we actually follow national rodeo anyway...) But it's a fun time all the same.

The burgers are great, Mike was talking about them before we even got there. I even had two!

The first event is one of our favorites - Mutton Bustin'. This is where little kids ride "bucking" sheep. So cute.

Ridin' a bucking bronco.

I have to say this is my favorite picture of the night, and Conner will probably be mad at me for posting it. He took my hat and when I went to snap a picture, made this face. Classic. I think I will set it as the desktop picture on Mike's parents computer. I also think Conner should make it his Facebook picture.

And if it's called Strawberry Days, there had better be strawberries, right? Yep, that's one of our favorite parts too, Mike and I each had two helpings of strawberries and cream.
Trivia question: How much strawberries and cream are consumed during the course of Strawberry Days?
Answer: 1,800 cases of strawberries and 900 gallons of cream (that's about 30,000 servings). Poor Payson, Ut - their summer celebration is Onion Days. Onions and cream? No thanks.
Other fun things not caught on film:
The funniest event - Wild Cow Milking. This is, funnily, exactly what it sounds like. Groups sign up in advance to compete. The wild cows and the groups of crazies are let loose. They chase around the cows in an attempt to hold it still long enough to get a couple drops of milk, but mostly just get dragged around by the enormous cows while the crowd laughs. Good times. Mike's brother Nick actually did it one year. He was still in high school - that explains it...
The pre-bull riding entertainment - Not always as entertaining as we hope, but this year's was great, they had a couple of awesome motocross guys and a huge jump. They even did backflips!
Anyway, with the rodeo and Mike and I going on our first real mountain biking trip of the year, summer is officially here! Wahoo!
6 comments:
those strawberries and cream look soooooo good!!!!! We've been with Mike's fam to the rodeo! good time! except for the fact that they killed a steer and everyone thought it was funny.. I cried.
Haha, that's funny. I was about to say exactly what Cami said. Good thing I read it. I was scared to go to a rodeo for a long time after that because I thought they were mean to animals. But I must admit, we do like the Days of '47 here in Ogden! She forgot to mention right before they killed the cow that we had just eaten hamburgers and it made us so sick. Poor thing. At least they did mouth-to-mouth to try to resuscitate it.
Yeah, I wasn't there that year, but I've heard Mike talk about it, it was sad.
Hi Mary!!! Its me Charonne, im so glad you blod too, I love havin bloggin buddies, its so much fun to keep in touch that way!! I will keep you all posted on everything!
By the way im adding you as a friend on my blog :-)
I don't really miss Strawberry Days, but I miss my Utah friends. Just found your blog via your Facebook page. I love the template! It's colorful.
Congratulations on the baby coming! We are so incredibly excited, and a little bit jealous.
Post a Comment