I tried to think of a more creative name for the post, but this is the best at expressing how we actually feel (yes, we are shouting!)
As most of you know who are reading this, we have been trying to have children for about 4 and a half years now, have gone through a bunch of fertility treatments and a failed adoption placement. We tried our best to always stay optimistic and faithful and knew that when we were meant to have a child, that we would be so blessed. We began receiving emails from a girl named Mindy (who found our online profile through LDS Family Services) in March, and we felt, from the very first email, that this was something special. We clicked with her right away and soon were sending long, wonderful emails back and forth several times a week. Then Mindy gave us her phone number and asked us to give her a call. I (Mary) called her while Mike was at work (she worked in the evening, but we didn't want to call her too early) and she told me that she had chosen us as the adoptive parents for her baby. I was in shock (good shock) and tried to figure out how to say thank you when the words "thank you" are so completely insufficient. After our phone call I called up Mike and told him the news and we both cried together on the phone. Mindy is from Colorado and was going with her sister to visit her other sister in Idaho, so we decided to meet in Salt Lake for lunch with the three of them, and already felt like we knew her from the moment we saw her. The meeting was great, and it was neat to meet her sisters as well - they were all so nice and easy to talk to. Since then we have been emailing back and forth and both we and Mindy have just felt the whole time that this is meant to be. We've always heard other adoptive couples say that when you are placed with a baby, you just know that that is the child that is meant to be in your family, and even though it's still in the future, we just feel such peace and joy.And here are the details!
It's a girl! We would have been happy either way, but we're so excited for a cute little girl! She is due on July 24th (Mike said today, "She's gonna come out pushing a handcart - for those who don't get the joke, July 24th is a Utah state holiday, Pioneer Day, celebrating the LDS Pioneers coming into the valley). It will be a great time, because our sister in law Carisa is due on July 4th, my 25th birthday is on July 12 (Happy Birthday to me!) and our 5 year anniversary is on August 8th. Yeah, it's gonna be a good summer.
How open the adoption is, is totally up to Mindy, because Mike and I are happy to be as open as she would like, but we believe it will be a pretty open adoption, where we will send Mindy letters/emails and pictures, etc. Mindy has also invited us to be very involved during her pregnancy, which we feel so blessed for! Growing up, our daughter will always know that she is adopted and how very much she is loved, and that love, on both sides, is the reason she was adopted.
She also already has a name - Rachel Loraine. We had started looking and made a list of like 15 names that we both liked and were in the process of trying to narrow it down when Mike said to me one night that he knew what her name should be. He was thinking of her one day and suddenly just thought, "Aw, little Rachel." That took him by surprise as Rachel wasn't even a name on our list (though it wasn't one we didn't like). A couple days later he again thought of her as Rachel and the Spirit touched him as he thought of the name, but he still wasn't sure why. Then, walking up the stairs to work, he realized where the name had come from - the bible. Jacob (who later became Israel), fell in love with Rachel and wanted to marry her and worked 7 years for her ("and they seemed until him but a few days, for the love he had for her"), but then her father tricked him into marrying Rachel's sister Leah instead and made Jacob work 7 more years for Rachel, which he did. The Spirit testified to Mike and I that that is like our situation, where we worked and waited for a long time, and then were tricked (our failed placement) and then were blessed with Rachel. We asked Mindy if she would give Rachel her middle name. The name, Loraine, is Mindy's middle name and also her grandmother's middle name and great-grandmother's first name. We are so happy that Rachel's name has so much meaning.
Mike and I are also gearing up for bringing Rachel home and are getting ready her room and all the things that we'll need! And as anyone who knows Mike could guess, we are researching everything from carseats to formula to figure out the best things to get for her. I will be staying home once she is born and am so excited to be a stay at home mom.
We feel so incredibly blessed, and this whole process has just been absolutely perfect. We love Mindy so much and can't express enough the gratitude that we feel for her and the completely priceless gift she has for us. Words are truly not enough. We thank our Heavenly Father every day for the love He shows us in guiding and blessing all of us who are involved. We also thank everyone who has been praying for us and thinking of us - we have felt your love and prayers sustaining us. We know that Heavenly Father blesses us in the time and way that is best and that when we put our faith and trust in Him, everything will work out.
And no blog post is complete without pictures...
Mindy is in the middle, and her sisters Jessica and Angela on her right
Mindy is in the middle, and her sisters Jessica and Angela on her right
Mindy's sister gave us a hand that says "Go Utes," in an attempt to make Rachel a U of U fan. We don't have a problem with that.Ultrasound pictures!





14 comments:
O my goodness! I am sitting here bawling my eyes out! I am so happy for you guys. I knew it would happen! And it's a girl! You guys are going to be amazing parents! I also love the name! Good Luck on the coming months and preparing for her arrival! Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything!
MARY AND MIKE... WE ARE SO COMPLETELY THRILLED FOR BOTH OF YOU! I got goosebumps when you told me yesterday and I started to get tears in my eyes today when reading your post! :) WOW, the baby will fit perfectly in your family! ;) You will be such wonderful parents! Words CANNOT express how excited we are for both of you!! :) YAHOOO!!!!!! love you :)
YEAH!!!!!! We are sooo excited for you! Congrats congrats congrats! You guys are going to make awesome parents!
We are so excited for you to become a family of three, and with Mary not being able to smell and all, it should make the infant stages much more bearable =). I gotta say that adoption stories make me cry like nothing else. Your story is so touching. Congratulations again! Also, we are so excited to come and visit when she's born!Keep us posted!
Mike and Mary!! This post made me cry because I am so happy for you guys. You two will be the best parents and little Rachel will be so lucky to have you. It also made me cry to think about how much love Mindy has for her child that she is willing to make such a sacrifice. That is real love. Two of my best friends are adopted and they are so grateful to their birth mothers for making the difficult choice that they did. I am so excited for you guys! We need to get together and have a shower/go out to dinner for you and Carisa! Even if it's just us "kids". Those little gals will have so much fun being cousins so close in age! Congrats again and keep us posted!
I am one of Mindy's aunts. I would just like to thank you for opening your hearts and your home to this precious baby girl. I cried when I read her name. Thanks again
Mike and Mary! CONGRATS! We are so happy for you! This couldn't have happened to a more deserving couple! We know that you will be wonderful parents! What a sweet story about her name! AAHH This is just so exciting! Congrats again! Keep in touch! - Russ and Heidi
Mike and Mary YAAA!!!! We are so happy for you!! You guys will be the best parents.
I'm so happy for you! and glad it is finally happening. If you need any advice on things let me know.
WOW! I always look at your blog praying to see this. I am so thrilled! You guys will be awesome parents. Mindy is a very smart girl for picking you. What a great life for a sweet baby girl! I can't wait until the baby is here and to see lots of cute pictures on your blog. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
I'm so happy for you guys. Some other friends of ours who had a failed adoption last August and then got a little girl in October just finalized their adoption with the state and then had the sealing on Friday. Attending the sealing was one of the best experiences of my life! They have a very open adoption with the birth mom and she even attended the blessing on Sunday. She just said that she new from the the beginning that her daughter was meant to be someone else's.
Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm just very excited for you guys. It will be a wonderful summer. Congrats!
Mary this is Tawna!!! Thank you so much for the email. I am sitting here totally crying. For joy! I don't know anyone who deserves to be more blessed than you guys. And your sweet little girl is so blessed to have you...you will be the most wonderful parents. You and Mike are such an amazing couple. And you're are such an inspiration to me! I loved all our conversations way back when. I really miss you - wish we lived closer. We're supposed to be in Provo sometime in August...I would LOVE to meet little Rachel!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! We love you guys and can't wait to see all the pics of your beautiful little baby girl. I love the story of her name.
We are so excited for you!! It will be sooo fun and wonderful!! I love the name-that is an amazing testimony building story. Congratulations!! I am so glad things are going so well!
Post a Comment