Mike and I went to visit Mindy and her family in Fruita, Colorado this weekend. It was so fun! Mindy's family is so great, and we were welcomed with so much kindness. We got to meet Mindy's mom and dad, Kathy and Mike. We also got to spend time with her sister Angela, and Angela's husband Ryan and cute daughter Megan, and also Mindy's little brother Joey (who clung on Mike most of the time) :) and they were all so nice.
It's about a 4 hour drive from Pleasant Grove (and Mike is proud to report we got 35 miles to the gallon in our Hyundai on the trip) and we arrived on Saturday afternoon. We went and got ice cream with Mindy and saw the "sights." Fruita is famous for three things (that we heard of):
1. Mountain Biking (maybe we'll get to go again and bike there)
2. Dinosaurs (Mike informed us that the big dinosaur in the park is an Allosaurus)
3. Mike the Headless Chicken (a rooster who lived for 18 months after it's head was cut off, there is a statue and a festival every year in Mike's honor - which Mindy says nobody goes to)
That night we had a barbecue (yum) and played Catchphrase, one of our favorite games that we brought with us, with Mindy, her mom, Ryan and Joey. Eventually we were playing with just Mindy and her mom until about 11:00 and they completely dominated us, despite many rematches. The next day we went to church with the family and had dinner, which featured Kathy's famous "Sunday Chicken." We played Catchphrase again, this time joined by Angela and Mindy's grandparents. After the game we hung around outside, Mike played catch with Joey and I chatted with Mindy and Angela and we took some pictures. Despite only being there a day and a half, we felt right at home the whole time. Mindy told me once that her case worker said that when you meet the right family, it's like you're just picking up where you left off in heaven, and our whole experience with Mindy and her wonderful family has felt like exactly that. We're so grateful for Heavenly Father blessing us to be able to get to know them, and so thankful to Mindy and her family for opening their home and hearts to us. I don't think any not-yet-born baby has been loved so much by so many people as little Rachel is. We all can't wait to meet her!
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I love this story and I love how they have welcomed you with open arms! What a beautful story you guys! Matthew and I can't wait to meet her! She will be so precious! :) We love you guys!
That is so precious! I am so excited for the two of you! I love the last pic!
Miles is from Grand Jct, which is right next to fruita, that's where we lived when we first got married. Crazy! I'm excited this is finally happening for you.
Post a Comment