May 2012- Mike gets a new job in Sandy, in the field he really wanted. We take the job knowing it will be a long commute, and planning to sell our house and move closer to his work.
July 2012 - We list our house and hope it will sell fast, because the commute is already getting old.
April 2013- After a long nine months on the market and a countless number of showings (seriously, I lost count, I'm guessing it was well over 40 - each of which I cleaned my house to perfection for), we FINALLY sold our house, albeit at a loss to us. We moved into Mike's parents unfinished basement to save for a down payment and look for a new house.
July 2012- We have enough saved to start house hunting. We get a realtor and start looking at houses in our ideal budget only to find that houses in that price range are not what we want - bad neighborhoods, trashed houses, etc. So we up our budget and look at more houses. We find one that we like and make an offer. After really thinking about what our mortgage payment would be - even higher than our old home, which was already a little tight, we decide that this isn't the right thing to do. (They didn't accept our offer anyway). So we decide to start over again and look at condos and townhouses, but then talk to our mortgage guy about them and realize that there are a lot of complexities to that they we don't want to deal with. Now we really don't know what to do and turn even more to Heavenly Father, asking what he would have us do. I really want to be in a new place before Rachel starts school. We think about renting again and pray about that. Both of us feel overwhelmingly peaceful and good about not buying a home, but going back to renting. We start looking at rentals and find a townhouse one street down from where we rented before we bought our house, a mile away from Mike's parents.
Today - Get a text from the manager that we got the townhouse. The neighbors are great, there is a boy and and girl next door exactly our kids' ages, and the elementary school is really good. We will move in a couple weeks, a few days before Rachel starts Kindergarten. By the time we move, it will have been 15 months since we decided to sell our home, 4 months of that spent living at Mike's parents' house.
We don't know why this is the answer for us. It seems like a step backwards, but that's okay. Maybe it's to save money. I am a stay at home mom and I want to keep doing that. Maybe Mike will get some far away job in the next couple years and we'll want to be able to move quickly. Maybe we just need to not have the anxiety of making ends meet each month and be able to just relax and do fun things together as a family while our kids are still young. I don't know. But I know that this is right for us at this time, and I feel so happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment