Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

6 Months

What?! My little baby boy can't be six months old. I refuse to believe it. *Sigh* I swear he's growing up faster than Rachel did, and that was fast. Although it is exciting to see all the new things he's starting to do. He has two teeth now, which we could very much tell were coming because of his mood. But now that they've popped through, he's back to being happy pretty much all the time (until the next set starts in anyway). The solid food endeavor is going very well. Food is Reed's best friend. He's moved on to Oatmeal cereal (rice cereal was a little hard on his system) and we even tried bananas once. The first day eating mashed banana, he ate an entire one. A whole banana. Wow. I got a baby food grinder, which I think will be a huge money saver with Mr. Eats-a-lot here so we don't have to buy a gazillion of those crazy expensive jars of baby food. I think we're going to have to pull out the high chair soon too. I haven't yet because it's just another sign of how big and grown up he's getting, and I'm in denial.

In other news, Reed has decided that at the ripe old age of 6 months, he doesn't need naps anymore, at least not ones longer than 10 minutes. Mom, however, is not in agreement, and is trying to figure out how to force the issue. Reed likes sleeping on his tummy (and is old enough to at this point because he can move his head and torso around however he wants). He doesn't just like sleeping on his tummy, he insists on sleeping on his tummy. This wasn't a problem - until he learned how to roll onto his back. But he hasn't figured out how to roll the other way yet. So I put him down for a nap, and within minutes he rolls onto his back and starts screaming. Every time I roll him over, he just rolls right back and freaks out again. And the result is a very over-tired baby and a frazzled mama. And then he goes to bed for the night at like 5:00, and wakes up super early. I really have to get this figured out. Advice anyone??

This is what Reed looks like at 4:00 in the afternoon after a day of not sleeping:

But this is what Reed looks like most of the time:
Happy :)


I think it's funny that no matter how much room the kids have to play and explore, they'd rather be squished together on the chair with mom or dad. :)


Reed practicing the piano. He loves smashing the heck out of this little piano.


I love this cute little Sunday outfit, the look on his face, and how he's holding his own hands.

Note the drool on the sweater:


Oh and guess what else? Reed is sitting! Okay, well, sort of. If I prop him up just right, he'll sit for few seconds before wobbling over, and most of the time he's folded over like he's practicing his yoga (he loves eating his toes).


We got iPhones recently. Rachel loves them. We downloaded an app that teaches shapes. In addition to the shapes she already knew, Rachel can now identify a hexagon. I don't think I could do that until I was at least 6.


Sorry it took me so long to blog again! We've been dealing with a lot of potty training. And I just got kind of lazy. Hopefully we won't go so long before the next post. :)

5 comments:

Lynn & Paul Jones said...

Upddate from biofather's parents. Chris rolled all around the house a long time before he finally got the hang of crawling. He could roll faster than you can walk. He could get anywhere he wanted to with rolling, so he practically went from rolling to toddling. Realize with that he became a climber and loved high places. Beware. (Paul & Lynn Jones)

Rebecca said...

That must be so frustrating with his sleeping. I wish I had some advice, but I don't. Also, I thought I'd give you the website that I used when making baby food. You might already have similar information, but I thought I'd give it to you just in case: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

Kathy&Mike said...

Isn't it just ridiculous how fast they grow up? Did I spell ridiculous right (you would know)? You are such a beautiful family. I wish I had answers for the sleeping issue, but I don't.

Errin and Stephanie Dalton said...

The book that helped me the most and made the most sense to me was the 90-minute sleep program. It sounds totally bizarre that babies have these 90-cycles, but if you pay attention they do! I also like the no-cry nap solution-it had some good ideas. I will totally send them to you to read if you want. They saved my sanity!!
My Sophie was so incredibly active that the only way I could get her stay still enough to nap was by literally restraining by putting her in her carseat and putting up dark shades in her room. So we went from little catnaps to 2 2-hr naps a day. Talk about life-changing!
Just this week we are trying the crib thing out again and it is working pretty well.
Good luck! Let me know if you want those books.

Krista said...

I bought something like a sleeping wedge that might work for Reed. Basically it's 2 pieces of foam or plastic covered with fabric that keep the baby in place. I'm sure that made no sense, but you could probably research "sleeping wedge" or something like that to get the picture. It would prevent him from rolling to his back. I've heard they have them at target, but I got mine for $3 at kid to kid.