I don't know how you define a miracle, but here's how I see it. A miracle is something amazing that cannot be explained except by ascribing it to the power and love of God.
On Mother's Day and in the days since, I've been thinking a lot about motherhood. How it's a miracle that I am a mother today. And about how much I love my little girl and can't imagine life without her. About how I hope we can adopt again soon and I can hold another precious miracle in my arms.
And then on Tuesday, Mindy and Jake had their little girl Ashlyn. In Mindy's facebook status, she says, "I've never been happier." It's such a simple, wonderful way of describing that sacred time when a new soul joins a family. I remembered back almost two years ago when Rachel was born. How I was so very happy, so excited, so nervous, so overcome with joy. But we also loved Mindy incredibly, and her heart was breaking. It was the most bittersweet time I've ever experienced. We all knew that Rachel was meant to come into our family, but how do you part, even for one moment, with the sweet baby you've known and loved for nine months?
To this day, I do not know how she had the strength to place that sweet angel in our arms and walk out the door. I cannot fathom it. It is love and selflessness beyond measure. It is one of the few completely Christ-like acts that a person can do in this life. Anyone who believes that the mother who places her child for adoption does not love her child is very grossly mistaken. The love of a birth mother for her child is the most magnificent kind of love I know.
People are sometimes shocked at how close and open of a relationship we have with Mindy. But to us, it feels like the most natural thing in the world. How could we feel anything but eternal gratitude and love for the person who gave Rachel life, and entrusted it to us? How could we not want to share our lives with her? I am proud to share the title of Rachel's Mother with this amazing woman.
I am so happy that she now has another daughter, and can experience the joy of 'active-duty' motherhood. I realize that our Heavenly Father is so very good to us, and that miracles are all around us.
They are our families.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh, Mary! I love you so much. You have such a beautiful way of putting things into words. I too have been awestruck at Mindy's strenth and the depth of her love. She is truly amazing. And although I know it was Heavenly Father's plan for Rachel to be yours, my heart still breaks for my own little girl and the loss she faces every day.
You stinker. Your blog ALWAYS makes me cry. What a sweet post, and I too hope you will have the opportunuty to add to your sweet little family soon. Also, congrats to Mindy!
Wow...I am almost sobbing I am crying so hard! (Dont forget Im post pardom too lol). That was the sweetest post ever. Thank you so much for all of the wonderful things you said. The past few days I am so overwhelmed with gratitude to Heavenly Father for blessing me with so many amazing blessings after everything I've been through in my life. I am so happy with how everthing has worked out, even though I still miss Rachel every single day. I love seeing her grow up with such a great life and seeing how happy she is, and even after going through all the pain of letting her go, its all been worth it to see how it has all worked out. And like i said before im happier than ive ever been and i am so blessed.
Thank you for this post. You are one of the most amazing people I know and I am so glad Heavenly Father brought us into each others lives!
That was so beautiful Mary! You are an amazing mother and Rachel is such a lucky little girl. She has so many families that love her so much. I love how close we've all grown and how good you are to Mindy. You are so right when you defined Miracles. :) Love you Mary
This is such a beautiful post Mary.
The paragraph that starts with "To this day..." especially touched my heart. Thank you for being so wonderful in every way. We love you so much!
You are amazing Mary! You guys are such sweet, great parents. I admire the relationship you guys have with Mindy. You guys deserve the best!
What a beautiful post. This is why I love reading your blog, it always makes my day happy!
Congratulations on your new daughter, Mindy. Your selflessness and love is admirable, your gift to Mike and Mary, priceless.
Post a Comment