Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Price of Quiet

Usually by the time I'm making dinner in the evening, Rachel is getting into her grumpy/whiny phase, which is not so helpful as I'm trying to get things cooked and ready. She's usually hanging on my legs, constantly underfoot and screaming for my attention. I usually try to get her involved in something fun, or have Mike take her. Tonight Mike was busy, but it was ok since Rachel was over by the stairs, playing. After a few minutes of noticing how quietly she was playing with her back turned to me, I decided to investigate what she was playing with.

An open bag of nails, found in a drawer.

She was taking them out and placing them on the bottom stair, one by one.

Parenting mystery #146: Why is it that the sharp, dangerous "toys" are the best at keeping kids entertained?

Luckily, Mike came upstairs shortly after I took away the nails, and we got on with dinner.

4 comments:

Kathy&Mike said...

when it gets quiet, you know there's trouble brewing! Good mommy.

Angela said...

I am also perplexed by parenting mysteries #1-145... and so on! The other day Megan had climbed up onto the counter and was being very quiet, I asked her what she was doing and she said she was just looking at the calendar. I went and checked on her and she had discovered the sugar bowl in the cupboard and had sugar all over her face. She thought she was so sneaky.

Mindy Hawks said...

Haha! How funny! Ange's story about Megan is funny too because Megan is always sneaky like that! haha little cutey pies!

Rebecca said...

Those kids can't be trusted. Why is it that they always get so whiny when you're trying to make dinner? It is by far the worst time of day for toddlers.