Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

I feel warm just thinking about it

In only a short time, Mike and I will be here:

Ahh. Mike and I have never really taken a vacation that's just a vacation and not visiting for family events. (And even our honeymoon doesn't count as a vacation, since we only went to Park City and I had food poisoning. Romantic, no?)

But soon we'll be flying to Florida and sailing around the Western Caribbean on a big ol' cruise ship for 7 nights (thank you adoption tax credit). Just the two of us. That's right, no diapers to change, no asking for a high chair at dinner, and no crying 'alarm clock'. We won't even need to remember to bring juice every time we walk out the door.

On the other hand, it will also be a week and a half of no snuggles from Rachel, no "sugar", and no giving raspberries and hearing that cute little laugh. *sigh*

Life's give and take, I suppose. And I think it will be good for us to get away on our own and reconnect after a year and a half of all focus on baby. Plus we can rest easy knowing she'll be in good hands. Better than good actually, because who better to watch Rachel than her mommy? Mindy is excited to have a bunch of time to spend with Rachel, and we're excited for them to be able to connect in a way they haven't been able to before.

I know it may seem weird that Rachel's birth mother is babysitting (a friend I told today thought it was anyway), but we have a very special and unique relationship with Mindy and her family. They aren't just Rachel's birth family, they're our family. Mindy's parents are simply another set of grandparents. Mindy is Rachel's mother. It's not weird or scary to leave Rachel with Mindy. I actually feel more safe about leaving Rachel with her than I would anyone else, because I know she's probably the one person that loves Rachel just as much as Mike and I do. And no, Mindy's not going to run off with Rachel (though with how cute she is, I wouldn't be surprised if she was tempted to!). Our adoption of Rachel was an inspired decision that all of us knew what right for Rachel, and nothing can change that, not for us, and not for Mindy.

And now I've gotten carried away.

The whole point was just: we're going on a cruise! Yay!

(Also, is it normal that I'm overwhelmingly paranoid/worried that something will go wrong and ruin the trip? Because I am. Mike calls me The Worrier.)

10 comments:

TJ and Jessica said...

I'm SOOO jealous! I've been wanting to go on a cruise lately. They are so stinkin' fun! I was wishing I lived closer to my parents so I could hang out with Rachel while Mindy has her. I think that's so neat that you asked her. She is so excited!

Rory & Lori said...

You guys are so lucky! We were supposed to be going on a cruise with Rory's work, but it's not going to happen anymore. :( I am so jealous! Take lots of pictures!

Kathy&Mike said...

I LOVE THIS POST!! First of all, I LOVE cruising. It's so wonderful. The service on a cruise ship just isn't offered anywhere else, and the Caribbean is the most beautiful place. We want to do a Hawaii cruise, a Panama Canal cruise, and an Alaska cruise, along with about 100 Caribbean cruises.
Second, I LOVE Rachel and can't wait for her to be here!!!
Third, I LOVE you guys and agree that you are our family now. The other day I was telling my friend at work about Rachel being here while you guys cruise and she said, "Your family really does have the perfect adoption scenario, don't you?" Ever since we met you, I have felt not so much like you adopted our grandchild, but that WE adopted YOU into our family. We love you so much!!!

Kathy&Mike said...

P.S. When my sister and her husband went on a cruise with us, she was afraid we would get hit by a tsunami, so you are not the only worrier!

Amanda said...

Oh man, how fun! Have a great time! How nice to get out of this nasty coldness!

Mindy Hawks said...

Well I can't wait for your trip! I'm so excited for Rachel to be here! Thanks for asking me to watch her (she is welcome anytime!)

Mindy Hawks said...

Well I can't wait for your trip! I'm so excited for Rachel to be here! Thanks for asking me to watch her (she is welcome anytime!)

Nate + Carlee said...

I am so jealous. It was painful for me to read this post, like I could physically feel myself die inside just a little...(well, maybe not that bad), but Nate and I haven't been on a vacation SINCE our honeymoon. Sigh. And, I think it's awesome that Mindy is watching Rachel. I love how close you are. Rachel is one lucky ducky!

Stan said...

What a perfect time to get away during the bleak mid-winter. Sound so wonderful. You do have a wonderful unusual relationship with Rachel's birth mom. What a incredibly grounded life she will have, knowing Mindy. Have a great time.

Angela said...

Cruises are the best!! You are going to have so much fun. :) I'm a worrier too, so I know how you feel! I'm sure that everything will be great though!