I don't know how it happened, but someone somewhere messed up. I can't possibly have a one year old. I swear it was just last week we were driving home from Colorado with an impossibly tiny and slightly yellow-tinged baby girl sleeping in the car seat. But I guess it's true, because I have the pictures to prove it.
Care to guess how many pictures I have to prove it? Go ahead, leave a comment with a guess of how many pictures we've taken of Rachel in the past year. I want to see if anyone gets close. Think big.
The person who's closest will get... um... public recognition, as well as showering praise and admiration. Wahoo!
The person who's closest will get... um... public recognition, as well as showering praise and admiration. Wahoo!
In honor of the Rachel's birthday, I'd also like to share just a few things I've learned in the past year:
1. Despite my worst fears, I actually can function while sleep deprived - I think a mom's body has a special gear it shifts into at 3 am which prevents her from choosing her neglected, wonderfully soft I-never-appreciated-you-before-now pillow over feeding her child.
2. Almost everything I said I would never do as a parent, I've done. (Minus the obvious hitting, shaking, etc.) Mistakes are par for the course. Turns out I can't be a perfect mom. Huh.
3. The grossness of being thrown up on is overshadowed by the worry felt about a sick child.
4. The phrase "They grow up so fast" is actually true.
5. Baby laughter is the most beautiful sound I have ever heard in my life. When she can say "I love you, Mommy," I think I'll die of happiness.
6. Not having a sense of smell was kind of a bummer before. Now it's one of the greatest blessings of my life, if other peoples' reaction to a poopy diaper is any indication.
7. It is possible to be so, so happy when Rachel goes down for a nap, and also be so, so happy to see her again when she wakes up. Weird.
8. It is necessary to Mommy's sanity that we leave the house at least once per day, even if it's to shovel snow, or make up something that we need to get from the grocery store.
9. Adoption really is a miracle, and the love it takes for a birth parent to choose it is completely unfathomable.
10. Being a mother is the hardest thing I've ever done, and it's also the greatest, happiest thing I've ever done. I had no idea I could love someone so completely.
I also made a little slideshow for Rachel's first birthday too that you can watch if you'd like (I love making these; the end came out a little choppy though, don't know why) It's about 4 1/2 minutes long.
10 comments:
My guess is around 2000. But I'm probably wrong, I'm sure it's way more! :) I love this post, it's so touching. I can't believe it's been a year either! It has really gone by fast. Happy Birthday Rach! I love you! :)
Probably about 1000 pictures. That is just under 3 pictures per day.
I'm going to say 800. Happy Birthday to Rachel! I love the pictures you guys just took, especially the one with just you and her at the end of your video.
Where the heck did the time go? I can't believe how fast the past year went and how big Rachel has grown. The slideshow proved that, though she was precious as a newborn, she has gotten progressively cuter and cuter. You guys have had an amazing year and have been awesome parents together. Thanks for sharing those pictures.
I'm guessing you've got 1,700 pictures. But I still feel I'm too low.
watching the slide show made me get all teared up at work. I love my girls so much!
-Mike
I dont think Im allowed to guess considering you already told me the total the other day.
Your list of all your little things you've learned made me want to cry a little. I just love seeing how much you love her. I loved it this last weekend whenever she would hold her hands up to me, but I also loved how she just followed you around everywhere you went. It just makes me so happy to know how much she loves you. I love you guys!
It took me a awhile to catch up on your blog. Since this is a private blog I don't have the most recent reminder. Stan & I were commenting on what a nice family you have. You have such a great way of expressing yourself. I too teared up with your video of Rachel. I guess 1,005 pictures. You are such a wonderful mother.
I know what you mean with time going by fast; it is crazy how fast it can go. Rachel is adorable, and I love all the pictures. My guess is 1,800.
My guess is 1365. I love you guys!
Well, I guess the nut doesn't fall too far from the tree! And you thought I took a lot of pictures. Funny how parents aren't as dumb as you originally imagined! I'm proud of how artistic you've become and your extreme thoughtfulness (The book). If you were taking photo's with FILM, 800-1000 images would be a good guess. In the digital age, it's probably closer to 3200. Dad.
Post a Comment