I have tried, repeatedly to force myself to like it, because I really want to like to sew. But every time I make a project I find myself frustrated, unskilled, and really just wanting it to be over. I think one of the reasons is because there's very little margin for error in sewing. In cooking, if you mess up a little, it usually isn't a big deal. And even if it is, it's just one meal. But in sewing, one little mistake can ruin a project. Plus I'm a perfectionist, and not a very good sewer, so that's not a good combination.
That, and the word "sew" just bugs me. It always seems like it's spelled wrong, I always find myself thinking I should be pronouncing it "see-oo" with pursed lips and a funny accent.
Anyhow, the point of all this is that I did actually sew something today! It took three hours and an extra trip to the fabric store after I cut my fabric wrong and had to get more, but I am proud of what I accomplished. I made Rachel a pillow and two fleece pillowcases.
Rachel doesn't like regular sized pillows - they're too big and bulky for her. But I had quickly thrown together a little fleece one out of excess fabric squares, and she loves it. But it was way too small and hard to wash since it didn't have a separate case and pillow. So it was my goal to make an in-between sized pillow and two pillowcases to go with it - since washing frequently is a must.
It only cost me about $9 for all of it (including the extra fabric store run). I already had the stuffing (thanks Tiff!) and it would have been even less if I had liked any of the bargain fleece. But I didn't. I just used cheap muslin for the pillow itself. They're nowhere near perfect, but it'll serve Rachel well, I think, and I can't help but be proud of myself. :)
Here's how it came out:




7 comments:
Good job, Mary! They look great! I actually like to sew, but only when I'm in the mood for it.
Glad you could use the stuffing!
My problem with the word "sew" is the word "sewer," as in "one who sews." There must be a different term for this, but I don't know what it is!
Way to go on the pillow! It's nice to have made something that someone appreciates and loves!
What a great idea. I should think about making one for Grace...I think she'd love it just as much as Rachel seems to love hers! Great job on it!
Way to sew! I ought to bust my machine out and be useful. Rachel is precious.
I hate the word sew too! its funny because even though I know it's spelled right, when I read it, in my head I say it wrong (the way it looks!).
I already told you this before, but I just think you are such a good mommy to Rachel to go to all that work for a special pillow for her. And she looks so cute laying on it in that second picture. It makes me want to give her a big hug and kiss!!
I am much impressed!
Personally I gave up being a perfectionist when it comes to sewing - but that is also the reason I do not sew for others unless they really, really, really don't care what it looks like (like a patch in a tote bag) because I feel obligated to make their seams straight and that is way too much bonding with a seam riper for me.
All that said, your pillow case looks much better than my first 8 - 10 attempts at such items.
Post a Comment