Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chore Chart

Mike and I have both been thinking for a while that we really need to have Rachel do more little age-appropriate chores around the house. Whenever I do have her do them, she loves it, and I know she's learning about helping and working for her family. The problem is that I get caught up in just getting things done and don't remember to involve her all the time. So I made her her own little chore chart. Because it will help me remember to have her do chores, and it will be a fun way for her to know which ones she needs to do and see all that she did at the end of the day.


If you're interested in how I did it--
I got a cheap ($2.50) magnetic whiteboard from Walmart and a few sheets of scrapbook paper. I cut the scrapbook paper to size to make the two sections. Since she can't read, everything had to be visual - so she knows the difference between the "To Do" and "Done" sides. The title is just scrapbook paper that I printed on. The chore magnets are just cardstock that I printed on- I just wrote all the chores and found a clip art picture to match. Then I stuck magnets to the back (.97 for a bunch of peel and stick magnet strips, again, Walmart) and just "laminated" them with packing tape. The little purple envelope (for chores she doesn't have to do that day) is just made out of more cardstock with a magnet stuck to the back and taped, just like the chore magnets. I spent less than five dollars to make the whole thing! I have to say, not being a crafty person, I'm pretty proud of myself and really excited to show Rachel tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great idea! You'll have to let me know how it works out.

Kathy&Mike said...

Way cute, Mary!

Mombrud said...

Good for you! So cute! This reminds me I need to revamp our system. The one we have has gotten kind of old and stale and the kids have lost their enthusiasm.