Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Learning to Look

(Thanks Brooke, for your post, which made me think about this.) :)

When Rachel and I are walking or playing outside, every so often she'll point her cute little finger up towards the sky and make a "Hey Mom, look!" sound. At first I think she's pointing at nothing, but then I look up (to indulge her) and I'm surprised to see a plane in the sky. Usually it's a very small-looking plane way up there. Something I would never notice. But she sees those planes. She ALWAYS sees them, because she's always looking and taking in everything in her world.

I usually see things like dirty laundry, dishes, messes, and to-do lists.

Rachel sees the blue sky, a little leaf, a tiny metal washer. She walks, falls, and gets back up. She laughs (and cries) with every part of her body. She gives hugs and forgiveness freely without reserve.

This little girl of mine can't talk. She can barely walk. There's so much she doesn't yet know about the world that I'm trying to teach her.

But in so many ways, she knows so much more than me, and I'm learning to look when she points it out.

6 comments:

Nate + Carlee said...

I love this post! There is a quote somewhere by President Monson ( I promise this isn't a "Mormon myth!")where he says something to the effect of: the laundry will always be the laundry, but your kids will only be little for a short period of time. I try to remember that when Reid wants to play and I want to clean...

Mindy Hawks said...

Aww I love this! Its so true. Thats why we all need to be more like little children!

Devin said...

How totally true! Kids can teach us so much if we'd let them. I think instead we're to busy trying to "teach" them

Mombrud said...

So sweet! Sometimes we forget how much there is to learn from little people!

Kathy&Mike said...

Have you ever heard this:
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait 'til tomorrow
But children grow up, as I've learned, to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, 'cause babies don't keep.

Angela said...

I love this post! Thanks, Mary!